Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Galileo satellite system

Next time I go to the plane I will see how much the Aera 660 picks up.

I just checked with iPhone and I picked 10 Galileo satellites.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I routinely pick up Galileo signal, on both frequencies, from my pocket computer (some call that a smartphone), and it is used (along with GPS Navstar, GLONASS and Beidou signals) in the resolution of my position by that pocket computer. Today I even get an EGNOS signal, while indoors, not particularly close to a window.

When my GPS Navstar-only avionics loose signal and leave me without RNAV / PBN (I think likely due to jamming), my pocket computer usually either continuously displays position or recovers far faster. I like to think this is due to the multi-constellation and/or multi-frequency use, so I actually look forward to having avionics that have caught up with that. But I admit possibly this could be due to being less paranoid and less cross-checking on the incoming signal OR due to having ephemeris data from the Internet (but that last one seems less likely to me).

ELLX

It is surprisingly hard to find out good data on this. The first few pages of google hits are all PR from the EU or the agency itself – they must have a massive PR team – and then there is conflicting info.

The UK is apparently not getting the decryption keys for some higher grade signal but that’s obviously moot since the US one is just as good, and it has access to the US military one.

Next time I go to the plane I will see how much the Aera 660 picks up. Recently, it picked up almost nothing.

No avionics use Galileo.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Wikipedia says that 23 Galileo satellites are healthy and work but I don’t know what they actually do.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I laughed a lot

That article is a super example of the corporate-grade BS typically emanating from that general direction. There was even a website for Galileo – long since removed because it was so laughable – which claimed 100,000 jobs will be created in the EU, and together with this they were going to sell decryption keys for the “aviation grade” signal (which sounds so ludicrous now – see the start of this thread). The whole thing was predicated on the US never upgrading their original 1980s system, never removing the SA accuracy reduction (Clinton removed it), and on Europeans being generally completely stupid commercially. Even now there are no avionics that use Galileo. And the great claim was that the EU had political control of it so not relying on the US… until the EU signed the under the table treaty (later public) with the US that in the event of a war both systems will be shut down together anyway

Original article

Administrator

Galileo, strong since born

I laughed

LFMD, France

arj1 wrote:

Has anyone seen any other sources?

Yes, it is now listed in ICAO Annex 10 as a standard navigation system.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Galileo, now fit for aviation

Galileo, now fit for aviation (at least according to ESA):

https://www.esa.int/Applications/Navigation/Galileo/Galileo_now_fit_for_aviation

Has anyone seen any other sources?

EGTR

NCYankee wrote:

Although GNSS is used and Galileo is now part of Annex 10, are there any GPS avionics systems that are able to use Galileo?

Given that this amendment to Annex 10 was published earlier this year and has been effective for no more than 5 days as of this writing, I doubt it…

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Not AFAIK.

Having done a load of GPS related software, I know that support for Galileo is probably a feature which was incorporated and tested years ago, and will be enabled with a software update one day. No hardware change required.

As regards other Galileo features, like chargeable decryption keys (that itself has been a moving target with Galileo which was originally going to tie EGNOS to Galileo and then charge for keys to fly LPV approaches) is something else, and unless Brussels brings in some ludicrous reg forcing the use of xyz, everybody will just ignore it because the US system does the job just fine.

Administrator
127 Posts
Sign in to add your message