Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin 430 / 530 Software Upgrade

Thanks wigglyamp for your quick and very informative answer!

I guess limited need to upgrade then (the 430 is the second GPS, primary GPS is a 430W with latest software levels).

ESOW, Sweden

AndersB wrote:

I guess limited need to upgrade then

To me, “Prevents COM reception from being affected by the editing of the standby frequency in 8.33 kHz spacing mode” seems like worthwhile to get.

Last Edited by lionel at 20 Feb 21:23
ELLX

I agree! That was why I wrote limited…I could have been clearer! But again, it’s not the main COM, so let’s see. Good to know though, will test that and if it is annoying, I know what to do!

ESOW, Sweden

wigglyamp wrote:

Main Software Version 5.04 includes the following changes:
1. Prevents COM reception from being affected by the editing of the standby frequency
in 8.33 kHz spacing mode.

This is terrific, it’s been driving me nuts as I’ve only the one 430. Time to look into getting it done.

Off_Field wrote:

This is terrific, it’s been driving me nuts as I’ve only the one 430. Time to look into getting it done.

What actually happens and when? We have an aircraft with a GNS430 as COM1 and I haven’t noticed this?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

What actually happens and when?

Any time you turn the frequency selection knob it blocks the receive for a short period. This is every graduation on the selector. I found it very irritating when I first set it to 8.33 as I would always dial in a frequency when given it and would end up blocking out the remainder of the transmission often.

It means that if you’re actively listening to someone or waiting for a transmission you daren’t touch the dials,

wigglyamp wrote:

Current versions as follows:

Main 5.04 (SB0844 Rev A)
GPS 3.03 (SB0502 Rev A)
Nav 5.02 (SB0628 Rev A)

Main Software Version 5.04 includes the following changes:
1. Prevents COM reception from being affected by the editing of the standby frequency
in 8.33 kHz spacing mode.
2. Ensures that correct glide slope information is displayed on ARINC 429 EFIS
equipment if a failure should occur in an internal glide slope sub-system.

NAV Software Version 5.02 provides optional serial DME interface capability, which was
not available in previous NAV Software Version 5.01.

GPS V3.03 improves the GPS software loading process by utilizing updated erase and programming algorithms.

Just to be clear is this a reference to 530/340 or to the 530W/430W?
Thanks

KHTO, LHTL

This is just for the non-WAAS 430/530.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.
18 Posts
Sign in to add your message