Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin 430 For 8.33?

Of course, but they are the same from an ATC perspective. They will never clear you “for the LPV approach”, merely for the RNAV approach. What exactly you do with it, they are not interested in. You will also not find any approach plates with the title “LPV rwy xy”.

I wrote this in connection with the first bit. If any, there are very few approaches out there which can be flown as LPV, but not as LNAV.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 28 Jan 14:07
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Mooney_Driver wrote:

If you decide to upgrade to a 8.33 com only, Trigg has several boxes which do that and you can keep your 155 for the nav part.
As for the transponder, I am very happy with the TT31 by Trigg. It is cheap, it can do ADSB-out and it works very well.

I have gone for that option. TRIG for 8.33, King 155 for nav, mounted 296, and RAM mount running Sky Demon.

I looked very closely at installing a 430W when considering the 8.33 instal. However my view was that if doing an upgrade to a 430w, I may as well wait and go 650.Space is my issue for the units and would involve a bit of a rethink on panel. In for a penny etc. This is an interesting upgrade-

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

Guys,

Thanks so much for the replies. It’s really helped clear up a lot of things. Things that I knew were there but not sure exactly what they meant or their implications. That’s all much clearer now. So thanks very much for that.

Unfortunately A GTN650 is really beyond our price league. A 430W and and a mode S at the same time is possibly beyond our budget, so a 650 is definately.

Some decisions to be made, but I understand them a lot better now, so thank you!

Colm

EIWT Weston, Ireland

In that case I’d go for a regular 430 and a Trigg TT31.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

A quick further question. If we got a 430, what is the cost of keeping the database updated? I’m not sure if it’s by region only, but 95% of our flying would be in the UK & Ireland and 100% in Western Europe.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

dublinpilot wrote:

A quick further question. If we got a 430, what is the cost of keeping the database updated? I’m not sure if it’s by region only, but 95% of our flying would be in the UK & Ireland and 100% in Western Europe.
With a subscription from Jeppesen € 336 /year including VAT. Add 10% for the -W version.

(The smallest possible subscription covers all of geographical Europe and some more.)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

As long as the plane is VFR one update per year is enough. We did ours on April usually as that is when the big airspace changes happen.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Thank you very much! Really grateful if all the help here.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

dublinpilot wrote:

if you use it only VFR you may find a IFR user that gets monthly updates, that may “sell” you his outdated “last months” version if you may give him a new data card in exchange

fly2000

The appeal of the 430 is to those in our club who would like to fly IFR.

Virtually all (if not all) of us who currently fly with a GPS, use EasyVFR on a tablet. So the 430 is really for those interested in IFR flight. So we’d need the proper updates unfortunately. But the cost of the updates is less than I feared!

EIWT Weston, Ireland
Sign in to add your message