Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin 430 For 8.33?

I can’t help that for a VFR operation a trig 8.33 radio & mode S transponder would be the cheapest option all backed up with an iPad supplied with GPS data from a power FLARM unit.

That way you also get some traffic info.

I am continually surprised by the GPS performance of my iPad , in an eight hour crossing of the Atlantic last night it perfomed faultlessly and unlike the multi $M kit fitted to the Aircraft when using the Jepp app it warns you of approaching airspace and puts the forecast weather on the map graphicly………. for VFR an iPad with sky deamon has a lot to offer for not a lot of money.

Airborne_Again wrote:

Single updates are €111 for the 430 and €150 for the 430W.

One can also get them at half price or so from Jeppesen reps at Aero Friedrichshafen and similar events.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Mooney_Driver wrote:

As long as the plane is VFR one update per year is enough.

Single updates are €111 for the 430 and €150 for the 430W.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

The appeal of the 430 is to those in our club who would like to fly IFR.

Virtually all (if not all) of us who currently fly with a GPS, use EasyVFR on a tablet. So the 430 is really for those interested in IFR flight. So we’d need the proper updates unfortunately. But the cost of the updates is less than I feared!

EIWT Weston, Ireland

dublinpilot wrote:

A quick further question. If we got a 430, what is the cost of keeping the database updated? I’m not sure if it’s by region only, but 95% of our flying would be in the UK & Ireland and 100% in Western Europe.

if you use it only VFR you may find a IFR user that gets monthly updates, that may “sell” you his outdated “last months” version if you may give him a new data card in exchange

fly2000

Thank you very much! Really grateful if all the help here.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

As long as the plane is VFR one update per year is enough. We did ours on April usually as that is when the big airspace changes happen.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

dublinpilot wrote:

A quick further question. If we got a 430, what is the cost of keeping the database updated? I’m not sure if it’s by region only, but 95% of our flying would be in the UK & Ireland and 100% in Western Europe.
With a subscription from Jeppesen € 336 /year including VAT. Add 10% for the -W version.

(The smallest possible subscription covers all of geographical Europe and some more.)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

EIWT Weston, Ireland

In that case I’d go for a regular 430 and a Trigg TT31.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
23 Posts
Sign in to add your message