Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin 496 - do airspace warnings work?

No, it does not block the view in the SR22, actually not at all. And no, it will not work like this in a TB20 or many other types.
This is right perspective, the other photo was made from down low

Last Edited by at 01 Jun 15:00

Capt Kirk, Ipad, SR22 and Space Shuttle are all off topic. 6 useless posts and if I cleaned up there would be another sh1tstorm in the background… Also, no info whatever posted on TAWS/airspace warnings implementation. Can this thread be more or less on topic?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Nevermind, just delete, no problem!. It was just an answer to your …

Sure, but which “tablet” can be mounted in a TB20 (or any well equipped IFR aircraft) where it doesn’t get in the way and just keeps working.

Peter wrote:

The big Q is what app will give me TAWS as well as airspace warnings, on the audio output

Sadly only ForeFlight, which is not much use in Europe. Skydemon will give you audio airspace warnings and audio warnings for things like tall towers. (I think Skydemon now also has some traffic capability with the PilotAware. No idea if it does audio warnings for traffic, though).

I’m surprised your panel mount stuff doesn’t give you audio warnings – I’ve just done about 25 hours in a Grumman Tiger which has a GTX330 transponder plus ADS-B, and that gave traffic warnings both on the GTN650 and would give a spoken audio alert for any traffic that looked like it would conflict.

Last Edited by alioth at 02 Jun 08:02
Andreas IOM

I don’t have anything that good in the panel. Only the KLN94 and KMD550.

The G496 definitely does airspace warnings but – without checking it in detail – it may be only a beep. And I can hear these, just about. They probably don’t come out on the audio output. Its TAWS warnings are excellent though – you get the TERRAIN PULL UP type verbal warning as well as a pop-up screen insert showing where the conflict is.

Next time I fly I will see what config there is.

The other thing I noticed on the G496 is that no matter what map declutter setting I choose, the airspace shapes depicted on the screen bear no relation to any VFR chart Maybe they are doing Skydemon-style vertical merging; that confused the hell out of everybody I have ever flown with who used SD.

Administrator

This is all the relevant config I can find. I already have the airspace warnings enabled. But still nothing comes out of the audio (speaker) output. I think the unit just does a quick beep for airspace.

Can anyone with a G496 think of anything else?

Finding hardware for yoke mounting etc isn’t a problem. The problem is the software which does the job i.e. audio warnings for AIRSPACE and TERRAIN which come out on the audio output.

Administrator

This is what the G496 shows

but there seems to be no way to get audio warnings from it…

Administrator

The moment I get a new device or a new piece of software, I switch off all airspace warnings. IFR, under ATC control, they have no relevance. And even VFR , there are so many occasions where I fly VFR under ATC control as well.

Sure, one day these warnings might save you from doing a bad mistake somewhere, but before that, they will make you go crazy.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 13 Jun 21:04
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

The point of this requirement is to avoid a CAS bust due to say a brief lack of concentration on a local flight, on which the route was not preplanned as one would do on a longer one. There is a really onerous UK CAA procedure nowadays, which starts with an online test with a tutorial followed by a piece of the PPL exam question bank (about 3/4 unrelated to the tutorial which you have just very carefully read!) but done at 4x the speed and you cannot review your answers after choosing them. It is very hard to even just read (and check for trick wording) the questions in the time given. One of them was a slide rule calculation of wind offset and like the others you get 45 seconds. Some of the questions contain all-wrong answers; I had two of those. No idea what happens if you fail this mad-rush exam, or if they credit the all-wrong ones as they do in normal PPL or IR exams.

It looks like Garmin specifically coded the 496 to output terrain warnings but not airspace warnings, which I find bizzare. It’s all in the database… Also nobody else has mentioned a solution which does this which is compact enough to go in the yoke. I guess the pilot shops are not selling aviaion GPSs anymore so nobody knows much about the functionality.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Also nobody else has mentioned a solution which does this which is compact enough to go in the yoke.

An iPhone (or non apple equivalent)?

Sign in to add your message