Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin 496 - do airspace warnings work?

An iPhone (or non apple equivalent)?

Running what software? I need terrain and airspace warnings both coming out of the 3.5mm jack.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Running what software? I need terrain and airspace warnings both coming out of the 3.5mm jack.

I only work with 2 softwares so can’t really comment on others, and my portable devices are all Apple (so can’t comment on Android), but:
- Skydemon does both (and runs on phone)
- Garmin pilot: I was only able to see terrain (and it works relatively well got in a cable car once). It’s available on iPhone (but I haven’t tested it)

How often does / would the 496 airspace warnings update? The advantage of a phone solution (which can even deliver BT to your device, if you so feel inclined), is that you get frequent updates.
I personally don’t really have reception problems (my iPad even mostly receives in airliner as long as I’m on a window seat), but for my older Ipad I use a blutooth GPS receiver (Dual), and it works great too.

One would update the 496 database say once a year, shortly after the UK CAA VFR charts come out. I think it used to cost about 35 quid.

This is much cheaper than SD for example, and there is no fiddling; you just press one button to start the unit up, and its high quality EGNOS GPS “just works” (not always with EGNOS but always very accurately).

But frankly I don’t care what software one is running so long as it “just works” and auto starts. I am sure one can auto start apps on android with various automation tools. Something like an S6 would be an OK platform, and one can run the UK CAA 1:500k chart under Oziexplorer so you get “your favourite paper map” too The terrain+CAS app would run in the background.

The app needs to correct for the ~160ft geoid error, too.

Does SD (or PFMS?) have terrain+obstacles and CAS for all of Europe?

Administrator

EasvVFR does spoken warnings (or alarm) for Obstacles and CAS.
Terrain is just shown visually, with no audio warnings.

I don’t think any of the apps do audio warnings for terrain?

EIWT Weston, Ireland

dublinpilot wrote:

I don’t think any of the apps do audio warnings for terrain?

Garmin Pilot does “Terrain! Terrain!” alert.

GP is attractive because of the potential future interface with a GTN box, I believe…

But does it do airspace? According to some posts here (Bosco?) it is not ready for prime time yet.

Administrator

This discussion continues here

Administrator
38 Posts
Sign in to add your message