Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin ADS-B for Diamond DA40NG - which one?

I have been looking various ADS-B threads for some time but haven’t been able to found satisfactory answers. So once again turning to hive mind.

Trying to choose which ADS-B solution would make sense to Diamond DA40NG as the avionics gets upgrade (G1000 NXi). Choices are pretty much Garmin GTX 335R or 345R. First has ADS-B OUT only and the latter has also IN.

Any other differences? Do both work with the bluetooth so that you can connect ipad (garmin pilot or foreflight) directly to the system?

If they are indeed identical on the above subject, then is there any reason to pay extra for ADS-B IN functionality. I am flying here in Europe. It has very limited services in Europe GA unlike in the USA. But this can perhaps change someday? ANy news on whats in the pipeline.

Pekka

Flying Finn living in Switzerland.
LSZL LOcarno, Switzerland

Pehu wrote:

Do both work with the bluetooth so that you can connect ipad (garmin pilot or foreflight) directly to the system?

No, the GTX335 is simply ADS-B Out, there is no BT and no ADS-B In of any kind. The GTX345 has BT to send traffic and weather to GP or FF. Except for a trial in Southern England, the weather is unavailable in Europe via UAT. ADS-B In traffic is also very limited and will only see ADS-B out equipped aircraft. Non transponder or transponder only aircraft (without ADS-B Out) will not be detected by the GTX345. So, if it were me, I would upgrade to the GTX335, if at all. There is no EU mandate for this equipment for a DA40, so it is completely optional.

KUZA, United States

The plane has avidyne TAS so it sees other aircraft with transponders on near it.

OK, so if 345R has bluetooth, can it be coupled directly with garmin pilot? Ie so transfer planned routes directly from the app(s)? I recall reading the transfer needed some wifi cards in the G1000 or something like that.

There will be either 335 or 345 in it. Just trying to figure out if the extra 4k (price difference between 335 and 345) would be “worth it”. Maybe not now but in the future it might be of some additional use?

Last Edited by Pehu at 26 Aug 19:57
Flying Finn living in Switzerland.
LSZL LOcarno, Switzerland
3 Posts
Sign in to add your message