Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin Flightstream - interesting how things are moving

I wonder what software is required to be running at the bluetooth client to achieve the flight plan entry function, and why they don’t use the opportunity to output a load of other parameters e.g. speeds, fuel flow, etc.

Also it will be interesting to see what functionality Avidyne will put into their IFD540 when they put in the software to enable their bluetooth and wifi hardware.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I have followed some FS210 discussions on other forums, where members have been in touch with the Garmin Pilot App team. They seem like a bunch that are out to kill ForeFlight, and are really keen on developing this app into the future.

So I have high hopes that in the future there will be added functions that will make our cockpits better than the 737NG(thats NOT so hard )

Why buy a GTN 750 when you only need a GTN650+ FS210 to add 4 more iPads to display all kind of information.

Last Edited by spirit49 at 19 Dec 12:44
spirit49
LOIH

Why buy a GTN 750 when you only need a GTN650+ FS210 to add 4 more iPads to display all kind of information.

Lack of space for mounting an Ipad where it doesn’t obstruct some part of the panel would be one reason

Having to keep all those damned tablets charged up would be another…

You can’t beat a nice big MFD for the “big picture” of the route ahead and which shortcuts to aim for. It doesn’t get in the way, etc. Current fashion is against MFDs – as we discussed here recently.

In my TB20 I cannot even have one Ipad mounted anywhere without it obstructing the panel and everything in the panel is essential. So the Ipad has to live on the knees, or on the RHS of there is nobody there (which itself guarantees a rather boring flight). Also an Ipad on the knees is highly dodgy unless the app running on it has a facility to disable the touch screen. I managed to achieve that on my Lenovo win8 tablet and that transforms its usability.

better than the 737NG (thats NOT so hard)

Not hard at all to get a more “pretty” result, but those systems are highly effective for that job. They are also standardised in the industry so easy transitions (especially across the Boeing line) are facilitated.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It would not affect my choice of buying a GTN750 over a GTN650 at all. I don’t worry about my panel mount overheating, not being able to see it in bright daylight, running down its battery, having to mount it where I can see it. I love the iPad as a backup, to manage and display my charts, for situational awareness, to obtain information, to display some weather products, to do W&B, but it is in no way industrial strength that I demand of my panel mounted equipment. With the addition of flight planning and transferring flightplans to the panel mount, the iPad is more useful, but never essential.

With respect to being out to kill ForeFlight, Garmin has a long way to go. In an audience of hundreds of people at a presentation by a non ForeFlight person asking for a show of hands, ForeFlight was the vast majority. There were a hand few that used Garmin Pilot.

KUZA, United States

I have Garmin Pilot – it has a long way to go before it is anywhere near Foreflight. That said they have a lot of resources to throw at it.

I agree with the views on iPads. They are great but I do find myself resetting mine and dealing with battery problems etc. And I have 110v sockets in the aircraft!

EGTK Oxford

Having to keep all those damned tablets charged up would be another

+1 for that.
Just finding a proper USB charger that can charge, not only keep the current charge, is a major issue.

So sure, if money was no issue, I would choose the 750 any day of the week.

Last Edited by spirit49 at 19 Dec 16:04
spirit49
LOIH

Just finding a proper USB charger that can charge, not only keep the current charge, is a major issue.

I’ve been able to eliminate problems with my aircraft-devoted iPad mini and its reliable enough that Foreflight can serve for primary navigation. Like anything else, its how you manage it. Mine lives in my hangar, on AC charge. When flying the plane, its on a 2 amp/5V charger that lives in the glove box and is ‘permanently’ plugged into the accessory 12V power port, on a good RAM mount that is never removed, with wiring tucked away neatly and almost invisible. If I’m on a trip the iPad gets plugged into the wall wherever I’m staying. As a result it rarely gets below 90% charge at any time, and when running it has a direct cooling air flow. End of problems.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 19 Dec 17:44

Also an Ipad on the knees is highly dodgy unless the app running on it has a facility to disable the touch screen.

There’s a built-in iOS feature to disable the touch screen (or arbitrary parts of it) and/or hardware buttons. Check out “Guided Access” under “Accessibility”.

As much as I like my ForeFlight running on an iPad, there is no way that the FAA would ever approve any portable device for primary navigation under IFR.

KUZA, United States

As much as I like my ForeFlight running on an iPad, there is no way that the FAA would ever approve any portable device for primary navigation under IFR.

No problem, I haven’t filed a flight plan of any kind since 2004.

82 Posts
Sign in to add your message