Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin G3X (merged)

Flight Design C4 – case & point?

Does “pressing buttons” on a panel mount touch screen really work in turbulence?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Does “pressing buttons” on a panel mount touch screen really work in turbulence?

It depends massively on whether you have somewhere to rest the other fingers against. If your panel is packed tight and there is nowhere, then No.

The GTN650/750 have a cut-out shape for that purpose.

Setting the code on a GTX330 in real turbulence is difficult.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It works surprisingly well on the GTN650

LSZK, Switzerland

Also you can of course also use the Garmin ‘two knob’ procedure on the GTNs if the touch is proving tricky in turbulence, but I haven’t had to resort to this yet…

Flying a Commander 114B
Sleap EGCV Hawarden EGNR

Now available – certified XCub with G3X panel.

http://www.flyingmag.com/certified-xcub-gets-garmin-g3x-panel

According to this the G3X is approved for the Xcub and not much else. So it looks like another case of an airframe maker certifying a non TSO item under their TC – if I read it correctly. That’s been possible for a long time; it is one of the privileges of a TC holder also being a 145 company with (in the US case) in-house DER. Only a small % of the bits in a GA plane are TSOd and I don’t think there is a regulation requiring the use of TSOd avionics throughout. It is de facto necessary to use TSOd stuff for the main IFR boxes but if you build a VFR plane then you can use all kinds of stuff.

Administrator

Peter, upon closer review I think you’ll find it is the first time ever that the FAA has approved non-TSO avionics as primary instrumentation on a TC vs via individual STC.

Last Edited by Shorrick_Mk2 at 26 Jul 07:39

Yes, could be. Is the Xcub an IFR certified plane in the USA? I think that is the key here. There are very few planes (outside the ULM etc classes) which leave a US factory with a VFR-only restriction. OK… there was the VFR SR20 but “nobody” bought it.

Administrator

No it’s not IFR certified.

EGTF, LFTF
Sign in to add your message