Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin G3X (merged)

Garmin has Certified there G3X System for Single Engine Pistons.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/blog/aviation/garmin-g3x-touch-certified-for-single-engine-piston-aircraft/

Last Edited by Matt_FK at 25 Mar 18:20
Austria

The G3X Touch flight display is approved for installation in nearly 500 single-engine piston aircraft and can be purchased through the Garmin Authorized Dealer network starting at a list price of $7,995 for a single 7-inch display and $9,995 for a 10.6-inch display. Pricing includes the G3X Touch display, install kit, ADAHRS, magnetometer and temperature probe (installation not included).

That is a great option for the market below the G500 and the TXI range.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Except the limitation to piston engine, I don’t immediately grasp what feature the G500 TXi has that the G3X doesn’t…

No backup battery so needs something else (e.g. G5) as backup, while a dual G500 can act as backup one to the other? Anything else?

ELLX

I wonder if Garmin will ever publish a complete comparison guide, including the number of serial ports

Found this small piece in the US:

Two apparent limitations with the G3X vs the G500 as it currently stands:

• The GAD43 autopilot adapter does not appear to be supported by the G3X, meaning that folks with attitude-based autopilots such as the KFC 150 will need to keep their vacuum-driven attitude indicator to drive their autopilot
  • The GDL88 is not supported by the G3X, meaning traffic and weather will not be displayed on the G3X

So no KI256 replacement route.

Administrator

$7,995 for a single 7-inch display and $9,995 for a 10.6-inch display

Must be the most expensive 10 inch display ever.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

It is quite a lot cheaper than the G500.

Installation cost is extra of course and a G500 (now the TXI) installation in Europe tends to run at around €30k. I was quoted €48k+VAT for the old G500, including a GNS430W

These are large jobs…

The bottom line is that if Garmin sold this for $100, the (legally required, in most scenarios) installer would make just about $25 dealer margin, and would have to charge another $xxxxx for installing it So these boxes will never get really cheap because the installation support scene would collapse.

Administrator

LeSving wrote:

Must be the most expensive 10 inch display ever.

It is not only the display. It is the whole system with a 10 inch display.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I now make sense of the huge development efforts by Garmin in the last 12 months: thanks to the 2018 and 2019 software releases, the G3X Touch, G5 and GTN750 in my plane went overnight from being inferior to a 2008 G1000, to being on par if not better. I’m talking in particular of: 1) vertical navigation for GTN fully integrated with G3X/G5/AP and able to descent to ANY waypoint at ANY constant angle input by the pilot (DIY ILS), 2) “rubber band” flightplan touch function for GTN and G3X, 3) published VFR approaches on selected airports for GTN, fully integrated with G3X/G5/AP), 4) G5 able to replace the G3X as HSI and GS indicator for ILS (beside being also an additional adhars/AI).
Like others, I’m curious of what’s the difference between the G3X and other certified Garmin PFDs (G500 etc..), beside lower pricing. Available to share my experience on the G3X side for such comparison.

United Kingdom

What I mean is 8k for the 7 inch and 10k for the 10.6 inch. The same system, but an increase of 2k just for the screen.

Doing the math, this is $769 per inch, 3.6/2000. Extrapolating back to zero inch (supply your own screen) this means the “system” costs $1617. thus the 10 inch screen only, costs $8.4 k

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Most of the money is for FAA paperwork. The environmental version of the 10" is about $3k.

Regulators, adding zero value and tripling the price, as usual…

Kent, UK
Sign in to add your message