Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin G5 (merged thread)

My upper G5 did not boot up a couple of days ago. Just a black screen. The bottom G5 detected this and turned itself into the AI.

I recycled the master, it did not appear to have any effect. I was sitting there, considering if the Autopilot would still work and if is was sensible to proceed with the journey and then 20 seconds later it booted up and everything returned to normal. Since the issue, I have done 3 x long flights in 4 days and all has been fine.

I wonder if there are any diagnostics which one could run to see what the issue was? I am sure @wigglyamp will know!

United Kingdom

1) With a Garmin G5 configured as an attitude indicator is it correct that the only way that Heading can be displayed is being fed with a Garmin GMU11 Magnetometer?

2) With attitude displayed, what does a yellow/orange ! (exclamation mark) imply, located between the slip/skid indicator and the GS window along the bottom of the display (left-hand side)? This indication doesn’t appear in any manual that I’ve found.

Thanks in advance.

Last Edited by 2greens1red at 07 Sep 16:37
Swanborough Farm (UK), Shoreham EGKA, Soysambu (Kenya), Kenya

2) With attitude displayed, what does a yellow/orange ! (exclamation mark) imply, located between the slip/skid indicator and the GS window along the bottom of the display (left-hand side)? This indication doesn’t appear in any manual that I’ve found.

System message indicator? (Pg 22/23 manual sec 1.6 messages). Pilot’s Guide

Last Edited by VFR-UK at 07 Sep 18:50
United Kingdom

2greens1red wrote:

1) With a Garmin G5 configured as an attitude indicator is it correct that the only way that Heading can be displayed is being fed with a Garmin GMU11 Magnetometer?

Heading – yes, correct, but it can display the GPS-derived track when no heading is available.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

2greens1red wrote:

With attitude displayed, what does a yellow/orange ! (exclamation mark) imply

It appeared in a software update about 6 months ago or so. You’ll probably find if you go into the configuration mode that some input (e.g. RS232) is configured however nothing is feeding it, and it’s an alert telling you that this is not working. You’ll want to ensure any unused inputs are disabled in config or you will get this yellow triangle.

Andreas IOM

Quick question: if you want the wind vector displayed, do you need to install the temp probe ?

Temp is not required for the calculation, but maybe the probe is needed to unlock the software ?

EBST, Belgium

Yea you need a GAD 13 for it to work.

EIMH, Ireland

Anybody got hands-on experience with the G5 HSI since firmware 6.2 ? I’m particularly interested in the expanded HSI rose (see picture) and whether people like it.

EBST, Belgium

Interesting. No experience with that yet, but from your screenshot, I quite like it. I am generally not a fan of „arc view“ instead of „360 view“ (merely personal taste, I guess), but this is more like a „300 degree view“, which gives a little bit of zoom, on a screen which is otherwise a little bit tiny.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Yes, that’s my thinking as well. Seems perfect for flying approaches.

EBST, Belgium
Sign in to add your message