Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin GNS430 (non WAAS) SID question

Maybe someone has a GNS430 (sim?) available and can answer this question.
Can the non WAAS GNS430 fly non RNAV SIDs by selecting PROC – SID?

Going through some SIDs, after selecting the applicable SID, instead of the correct waypoints, the GNS430 just painted a straight line from the airport to the „main“ navaid of the SID.

SID in question was LOWI OBEDI3J.

Is this something to watch out for or was it my fingertrouble? Thanks.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

Can the non WAAS GNS430 fly non RNAV SIDs by selecting PROC – SID?

I don’t know about this particular SID, but generally speaking, yes. But you have to carefully check each leg of the procedure against the SID chart as some part of the SID may/could not be coded faithfully. (Of course this is something you must always do, but you have to be extra careful with non-RNAV SIDs.)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I don’t have a GNS430 but it is supposed to do RNAV SIDs/STARs.

Around year 2000, that was the one key difference between it and the KLN94 which due to Honeywell’s stupidity stopped just short of getting the FAA LoA to enable the RNAV procs to be enabled in its database (it contains their waypoints, but not the whole proc, bizzarely). Garmin made sure they got that LoA and they won the European market.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I don’t have a GNS430 but it is supposed to do RNAV SIDs/STARs.

It does, but the question was about non-RNAV SID/STARs.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

One of the disadvantages of the x30 is very limited space on the card. Might this be one of the victims?

Otherwise, there may just not be an overlay.

EGKB Biggin Hill

I’ll try to replicate the situation and take pictures. It’ll be a while though!

always learning
LO__, Austria

Peter wrote:

Around year 2000, that was the one key difference between it and the KLN94 which due to Honeywell’s stupidity stopped just short of getting the FAA LoA to enable the RNAV procs to be enabled in its database (it contains their waypoints, but not the whole proc, bizzarely). Garmin made sure they got that LoA and they won the European market.

Peter,

The KLN94 software does not support the leg terminator of CF (course to fix) in the database. These are used in some RNAV SIDs. With the KLN94, one can manually use the OBS to select a course to a fix, but this is not acceptable as it must be programmable in the database. So it would have required both a software update and inclusion of the RNAV SID/STAR in the DB.

KUZA, United States
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message