Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin introduces retrofit autopilots (GFC500 and GFC600)

Peter wrote:

The GFC500 has just got an SB disabling the eletric trim.

How did they implement that??

The fix is a firmware update, apparently.

The issue was reported late 2022 …. this is just the resolution:
Original report
GFC500 autopilot trim issue

Last Edited by chflyer at 22 Feb 11:30
LSZK, Switzerland

I sense a bit of an obsession about trim runaways …c’om guys, those have been with us since ever and airplanes were not just falling out of the sky because of trim runaways (not that they did not happen) . My 40YO autopilot has at least three straightforward ways to stop the trim from running away from you, plus a couple more not so straighforward…

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Just what you want in IMC.

And you get B737 Max

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

auto-pilot commanded runaway trim

Just what you want in IMC.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

There was a one-off problem involving auto-pilot commanded runaway trim. Evidently this revealed a bug in the software which could make it happen again.

The fixed software is now available.

I know this because a friend of mine got one installed about a week before the SB came out! But he now has a functioning AP again.

LFMD, France

It is from the US Socata owner group. No more detail was provided other than this was a new installation and the trim was disabled apparently “out of the box”.

Administrator

Why? Can you share the source?

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

How did they implement that??

The fix is a firmware update, apparently.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

I don’t know which one is used for the GS. Maybe @wigglyamp knows; not sure he is still around.

173 Localizer Deviation
174 Glideslope Deviation

EBST

Airborne_Again wrote:

What do you mean with only output GPS steering commands? Do you mean over ARINC? The GTN can certainly output analogue localiser and glideslope deviations.

Interesting. I’ll have to dig a bit deeper in the setup of my panel, because in my case it doesn’t, or at least if it is output, it isn’t picked up.

Germany
93 Posts
Sign in to add your message