• France
  • Germany
  • Italy
  • Luxembourg
  • Netherlands
  • Switzerland
  • United Kingdom

is astonishing value.

Obviously there is a great deal missing, which has been a long standing hassle for those who bought e.g. the Jepp “Europe” (which is actually only west of the Iron Curtain) but this is going to massively eat into Jepp’s business.

Last Edited by Peter at 04 Apr 08:16
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It will be the AIP charts published by each authority, I think they use the free FAA Aeronav charts in the US.

$125 is for a one off download, and you really need a subscription to use the product, so $350 for a 696. Still amazingly good value though. One good thing that EASA has brought will be the standardisation of the look and feel of the national AIP charts

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

If it’s just the AIP charts, what would “amazingly good value” be? They are free (IFR).

One good thing that EASA has brought will be the standardisation of the look and feel of the national AIP charts

That surely didn’t come from EASA believe me….

If it’s indeed the AIP charts repacked then, well the added value is the geo referencing. (but then it’s expensive.. ).
However to see an AIP APP chart on a GTN650 won’t be a customer friendly solution I think

Last Edited by Vref at 04 Apr 09:08
EBST

I didn’t realise this might be the AIP charts.

The AIP charts, drafted mostly for A4 and not for in-cockpit use, won’t be any good on any current generation panel mount, short of a G1000 and even then only just about due to the poor screen resolution. They work on an Ipad, or something with a similar hi-res LCD, with reading glasses

On a GTN650, they will probably just zoom in on the one bit that really counts

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I am a big believer that on European level a standard needs to be developed for APP data set with templates with certain data blocks with defined data elements a la JEPP idea:

• Briefing strip
  • Projection lateral
  • Vertical with minima etc
    However we are currently stuck with Annex 15 in Europe as there is only the eAIP spec from eurocontrol to live with and a standardization of ICAO charts….
    EASA is not at all involved in all this….The only organization who could do this is mentioned above…
    None of the private companies have the resources or data management in place (liability issues etc) to offer a commercial product apart from Lido and Jepp ..(anyone interested… ?)
EBST

For my 695, the Garmin website offers me individual sets for the US, but if I want anything in Europe I am only offered the full bundle with annual subscription at £515 (~€625). No one off downloads are offered.

By contrast, a single one-off download for the entire North American continent is £100 and an annual subscription £235. Quite a difference.

EGTT, The London FIR

The new Jeppesen app has the airfield plates. Just touch the screen and up it pops.

The VFR app is a bit pricey at E149 initial and the same for annual renewal.

Nice mapping though… better than SkyDemon… though a tad too airways busy for the UK coverage. Would be nice to be able to “loose” airways +5/6,000ft.

Also can add new waypoints when in flying mode, tap the route and move it. Haven’t been able to do that with SkyDemon but maybe not worked out how…. the whole map moves!

EGBJ, EGBP, EGTW, EGVN, EGBS

When in flying mode in Skydemon, you can’t rubber band the route (to avoid fat finger mistakes?); you have to press the point you want to insert, and then in the menu that pops up, look for “insert between legs…”

EGTF, LFTF

I just went looking for the Garmin Pilot app, and found it isn’t available in Europe…

Maybe it will be announced at Aero?

EGEO
23 Posts
Sign in to add your message