Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin Pilot (merged)

Sure, because Jepp take the AIP data (probably paying a fee to the CAAs although that court case was settled under an NDA) and re-digitise everything, to generate the database from which their terminal charts are produced.

Then they sell that data to the IFR box manufacturers.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

… we get real value for our tax Euros …

Hallelujah! We (Europeans) now have instrument approaches in GP 10.2.3 – and a couple of other useful tweaks:

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

I am normally a Sky Demon person but I just downloaded Garmin Pilot European version with Synthetic Vision

I would be interested in feedback from other users in Europe and also anybody who has bought the Garmin GDL50 which has attitude sensors built in?

How did you get on?

United Kingdom

I like Garmin pilot but that synthetic vision toy they implemented (as some other similar implementation by other vendors) in my opinion should be banned. It literally is a killer!

Showing GPS-ground-speed and GPS altitude in the very same graphical representation as one would typically expect airspeed and barometric altitude is not only against the most fundamental rule of interface design (same things same representation, different things different representation) but is really dangerous. How many pilots will die in a stall/spin accident just because they looked only at their toy and thought they are well above stall speed but in reality they just had 20kt tailwind ?!?

Germany

Malibuflyer wrote:

It literally is a killer!

Can you point to a case of this?

If one has a flightstream210 which has the ahars and communication with some avionics does that display your pitot airspeed?

I will have a look at this next time I go flying, I only really use garmin pilot to get my route from Skydemon and send it to my 430.

If you have a flight stream 510 and a G500Txi, you get indicated airspeed, heading and altitude (the real ones, not GPS derived). Makes a very nice P2 instrument.

EGTF, LFTF

denopa wrote:

If you have a flight stream 510 and a G500Txi, you get indicated airspeed, heading and altitude (the real ones, not GPS derived).

Sure – but that’s a different thing!

Germany

Interesting comments, I see what you mean on the tapes.

Although, even though I already have twin G5’s, the only airspeed indicator I ever look at is my old Analogue gauge, you can see it out of the corner of your eye and read it very quickly

United Kingdom

that’s a different thing!

Oh yes indeed. I was only answering Off_field’s question.

EGTF, LFTF
Sign in to add your message