Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin STC AML and Approval

Uncharacteristically for me, I’m becoming interested in an avionics upgrade. Garmin has introduced the GTX 345 transponder which in the US would Bluetooth traffic and weather over to Foreflight, and has an internal integrated GPS receiver. That ‘carrot’ might be enough to get me ADS-B compliant before 2020, the US deadline for some airspace.

My question is more generic… My plane is on N-register and I know Garmin supplies an FAA STC that ‘provides’ for dealer installation with minimum paperwork hassle on a lot of planes. But what if the plane isn’t on the approved model list? I’d expect it would be an individual approval situation (field approval in FAA jargon) but has anybody had the experience of Garmin adding a type to the AML?

I imagine the STC has no value anyway for aircraft on non-US register, does Garmin sell them regardless to those customers?

(I’ve written to Garmin but have not yet received a reply)

Last Edited by Silvaire at 17 Feb 15:03

This may be changing soon. The FAA has in the works a policy change for ADS-B Out systems. If it gets approved, the installation will be a minor modification and only require a log book entry.

KUZA, United States

That’s good to know, thanks.

I talked to the FAA person who writes the new policy. It is in the final sign off process, but that can easily drag on a month or so. If it is approved, the installer will be able to document an installation on a certified aircraft with a log book entry and a 337, but the 337 won’t require a field approval. The installer will have to refer to an STC that pairs the ADS-B Out system and the position source and the same interconnect must be used, but the AML or STC make/model of aircraft does not need to refer to the specific aircraft make/model. It uses similar criteria that would be used for documenting an installation requiring a field approval, but the IA can approve the installation with an appropriate certification statement. It is sort of a hybrid between a field approval and a minor modification. I will post the policy letter once it is published.

KUZA, United States

Fantastic information. Thanks so much.

the installer will be able to document an installation on a certified aircraft with a log book entry and a 337, but the 337 won’t require a field approval

WOW that is a whole new procedure! A Field Approval (supported with an STC which is not applicable to the actual airframe) which doesn’t need an FSDO to approve it

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message