Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Gear won't come down - what would you do?

Surprisingly, not everyone will try every possible thing they can, until fuel or something else takes a priority. One guy I know landed gear up, with loads of fuel and after not trying very much…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Assuming I have fuel, get to a safe altitude, enter a hold on autopilot and get out the checklist.

EGTK Oxford

If everything else fails, especially when the gear comes down but fails to lock, one method known to military pilots but rarely mentioned elsewhere is doing a high-g maneuvre.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Having been there, the boredom factor starts to take hold after about 2hrs. We started counting spectators, ambulances, police cars and fire engines.

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

I depends a bit on how the malfunction manifests itself, i.e. either ’doesn’t come down’ or ‘no positive lock (gear apparently down, but no greens)’. I the airplanes I fly I can see the MLG, but not the nosewheel.

So, if the latter, then first cycle. Then, try to shake it lose with aggressive maneuvering. Failing that, do a low approach and get the tower guys (assuming there is one) to visually check nose gear down. If it appears down, make a very slow landing holding the nose off for as long as possible, having pulled mixture and throttle on final to ideally stop the engine. Again, this is for non-positive deployment.

If the former, go away and troubleshoot. In the Cessnas I fly, pumping the gear down manually is a – somewhat tedious – non-event. BUT, you need hydraulic fluid. If a line has ruptured, then you are committed to a gear-up landing. However, before finally committing to a gear-up I would try a couple high-g maneuvers as last resort, although I’m not sure if the mechanical locks would engage (they are hydraulically activated during normal ops).

A good place to start is to ensure you really understand the aircraft’s systems.

It may be possible to manually pump the gear down, and you might think that’s it. Then you might find there is a charge of gas that can be released, but how do you release the charge.

and then again how many of us have selected the gear, no greens, sod it, some how the rheostat was turned down on the last night flight and guess what, I didnt notice during the pre flight checks.

… and sometimes it will never come down. See the trapped breather hose in the noseleg fork?

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

Sad! I used to fly FJ from EGLM

For me, from cold reflexion, it would be, (if fuel ok).

1. Cycle,
2. check lights
3. get the checklist for manual gear extension,
4. high G pull,
5. try to reach a mechanic (phone or radio)

According to the situation (if gear potentialy down), between one of those steps : low pass for a visual check.

If gear up landing is unevitable :
1. get on an adequate airfield : emergency and fire services available, with long runway, weather OK (visibility, ceiling, wind). If possible, known airport (psychological side)
2. burn as much fuel as possible, without risking to put myself in a fuel-emergency situation.
3. High approach (if long runway), and on short final, mixture down + electrical off + unlock door
4. brace for impact

Last Edited by jeff64 at 10 Jan 20:29
LFBZ, France

Sometimes, nosegear is down but not locked.. In that case, after trying high-G manoeuvres, and as a last resort, try executing a deliberately vigorous touch-and-go – without letting the nosegear come into contact with the ground, obviously. When all else fails, this may just be enough to get the nosegear to lock.

Bordeaux
32 Posts
Sign in to add your message