Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

German Luftwaffe takes down Learjet

I am convinced there will never be a law bill in Germany allowing the government to shoot down civilian aircraft.

I really hope you are right, but I’m not so sure. Anyway, it’s totally useless. Germany is simply too small. By the time they stop trying to call the aircraft by radio and scramble the fighters instead, get the shooting permission and everything, the aircraft will long have hit it’s target or left the airspace on the opposite side.

Last Edited by what_next at 25 Jun 09:55
EDDS - Stuttgart

Of course it is possible. Vectors followed by tracking with airborne multi-mode radars. No hand signals but you can certainly follow and shoot down if needed.

I dont know anything at all about airborne multi-mode radars. Does that mean a fast jet could somehow communicate with the unknown aircraft in the IMC and give the equivelant of interception gestures or commands?

It means there is no carte blanche, the commander in chief (Secretary of Defense in peacetime, the chancellor in wartime) would be subject to prosecution

Is this just a restriction in Germany or do other nations have this restriction. I see what Peter says, it makes the Air Force a little useless, though of course just being there has deterred some Russians toying around the edges of UK and other airspace recently.

Last Edited by PiperArcher at 25 Jun 11:56

…it makes the Air Force a little useless,

No. The Air Force has enough to do fighting other airforces. And navies, ground troops, aliens from space, asteroids, whatever. The task of the airforce has never been fighting civilians.

EDDS - Stuttgart

The task of the airforce has never been fighting civilians.

We are getting pretty far away from aviation here, but in the past decades these lines – combatants vs. civilians/non-combatants – have blurred substantially. Trying to uphold them is like putting your head in the sand (not saying you do, what next, general comment). The world doesn’t work that way anymore.

We are getting pretty far away from aviation here…

Not really because two colleagues (that I never met, but they earned their living in the same part of the world the same way I do) just lost their lives because of this. Aviation as bad as it can get. Two days ago I was required to take a six hour course on aviation security. One day of my life thrown away. All because in 110 years of aviation a total of four aircraft were kidnapped and used as weapon.

EDDS - Stuttgart

All because in 110 years of aviation a total of four aircraft were kidnapped and used as weapon.

Well, there were quite a few more that were kidnapped. As for the ‘use as weapon’, a friend of mine died (from secondary effects) in what was probably the first such attempt, Air France Algiers-Paris in the 1990s.

It’s not just the german airforce destroying interceptor target aircraft, the swiss airforce did something
similar 3 years ago. The King Air managed to land damaged, and AFAIK was later written off. No casualties, fortunately.

Last Edited by tomjnx at 26 Jun 11:52
LSZK, Switzerland
28 Posts
Sign in to add your message