Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

German VFR AIP / airfield information / which German airfields have Immigration

The graphical data representing a visual approach chart, designed by the DFS, is probably (C) DFS. You would have to redraw it. But the textual (factual) data cannot be anybody’s copyright.

We have the same issue here in the UK, with “commercially secret” IAPs produced for commercial operators, based at airfields where there is no ATC and thus no official IAP is possible. One of many examples might be an air ambulance (a King Air, for example). Those IAPs cannot be published at all, although local schools tend to use them for IMCR training I have a few in my collection…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

True. However, as part of the public service, all of this should be for free – similar as to other countries….

LSZF Birrfeld, LFSB Basel-Mulhouse, Switzerland

“It seems ridiculous that even contact details in the AIP have to be purchased.”

What you get for free reliably in SD
-contact details
-runway surface, length, orientation, altitude
-height and position of the traffic pattern

Not so reliable
-fuel
-opening hours

Not included: German VFR AIP, that gives you additionally
-VAC chart
-reliable fuel and opening hours information

If you accept the nuisance, you can get the payware information
-paid: digitally, integrated in eg SD [edited for clarity]
-paid, in paper form, see posts above
-free: via the airfields/aeroclubs website

The German AIP situation is the result of people hating their own job.

Last Edited by a_kraut at 27 May 08:40
Bremen (EDWQ), Germany

If you accept the nuisance, you can get the paid information
-in paper form, see posts above
-via the airfields/aeroclubs website

As written before: Or you download the original data as pdf via Skydemon, provided you have subscribed for this add-on.

LSZF Birrfeld, LFSB Basel-Mulhouse, Switzerland

Peter wrote:

The graphical data representing a visual approach chart, designed by the DFS, is probably (C) DFS. You would have to redraw it.

SD has that info and draws the pattern direct on the chart. Some other progeams (e.g. FlyIsFun) also have them.

The Visual Flight Guide (electronic VFR AIP) costs 150*ish € and the SD integraded VFR ARIP costs 60*ish €.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

The best solution is friends in low places

I could not find a suitable online explanation of that idiom…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Wikipedia explained it for me. In german language: ‚Freunde im Maschinenraum‘ might have a similar meaning.

Bremen (EDWQ), Germany

I have determined that I’ll fly to Kassel.

The AIP, for immigration, states:

1 May – 31 Aug: 0530 – 1945
Other times: PPR
Immigration: O/R 4 hours

Does this mean, 4 hours notice needed for PPR outside those times, or that I need to request 4 hours in advance even for the normal operating hours..?

Kent, UK

This isn’t well written indeed. I assume that they first want to say when customs/immigration are generally available and then go on to say that in any case, a request 4 hrs prior needs to be made. To err or the safe side, I would advise them about my flight beforehand.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Peter wrote:

What do you get out of the Autorouter airport plate delivery feature? Is it just the free stuff, downloaded from the EAD site?

Yes.

a_kraut wrote:

If you accept the nuisance, you can get the payware information
-paid: digitally, integrated in eg SD [edited for clarity]
-paid, in paper form, see posts above
-free: via the airfields/aeroclubs website

Free but time-consuming: Call german AIS, ask them to email you the PDF of the pages of the VFR AIP that you need for your flight / trip. They do it, gladly. Before I got a Jepp VFR subscription, I usually asked for the “list of aerodromes” with opening hours, etc about twice per year, and the AD specific pages (charts and text, if any) of any aerodromes I intended to visit (and alternates / overflown aerodromes) for each visit. If I already had it, I would ask them “I have version DD/MM/YYYY, is it still current”?

ELLX
Sign in to add your message