Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Getting altitude and GS from a GPS

10 Posts

Oziexplorer can record a track log which contains

lat long alt date time

every say 3 secs (configurable) but no speed.

Can the speed be usefully derived from the change in position, over a few seconds?

Or do I need to grab the raw NMEA data, possibly from a separate GPS? What would be a suitable GPS which can log this? Obviously one could develop an app which records that on a phone or a tablet but that’s a lot of work. I have found GPSgate (for a windows device, which is OK) but when I used this in the past it was very problematic.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Foreflight records data which can then be uploaded to their website and converted to a file viewable in Google Earth, a .kml file, or a .gpx file. I look at almost every flight afterward, including track, speed, altitude etc. I haven’t used Garmin Pilot which is more applicable to Europe, maybe it does the same?

I’ve recently been measuring ground roll on the runway, real data with me flying is better than AFM data.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 18 Jul 15:13

I recently created a gps logger using a Raspberry PI plus a plug-on gps-module with its own active antenna – cost more than the RPi itself, but is easy to install and all required software and drivers are already there, no need to add any package or driver or whatever. The python code took only a couple of hours. Add a little LCD to the RPi and the data can be visualised, too.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

I think I will look for a phone app, because I will always have the phone with me, and charging it in the plane is easy.

There just aren’t many android apps which state they log the NMEA data.

And on windows (my Lenovo tablet) one cannot connect multiple apps into the same COM port. One has to use something like GPSgate to virtualise the COM port.

This is for generating a movie which has dynamic subtitles

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

My old Garmin 96 handheld can record tracks and these can be uploaded to an extremely clunky little app. Can’t remember name, it runs on Windoze only which I very rarely run under Parallels on my Mac. These data can be exported in various formats, amongst others to .kml files and show trackpoints and speed. Today I use ForeFlight, so haven’t used this feature in quite some time now, but it may be the cheapest option to get one of these units on eBay and just let it run.

172driver wrote:

My old Garmin 96 handheld can record tracks and these can be uploaded to an extremely clunky little app.

I use Garmin MapSource which may well be what you are referring to.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

would Airnavpro not do that?

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

EasyVFR records a breadcrumb file (brc) which has all that data. You’ll need a file explorer to get it off your phone (or install the old PocketFMS desktop application). It’s just a csv file, very easy to open in Excel and see.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

@dublinpilot, thanks for the tip about csv files. I just downloaded one to Excel for the first time, for a recent flight. This was with Foreflight in the US, not EasyVFR, so I imagine most of the moving map apps will do the same.

Peter_Mundy wrote:

I use Garmin MapSource which may well be what you are referring to.

Yep, that’s the one!

10 Posts
Sign in to add your message