Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Getting an FAA ATPL

I have an EASA ATPL with a current IR, and a 61.75 FAA PPL/IR, for which I did the Foreign Instrument Pilot exam.

I have around 5000 hours, mostly P1, and about 2,500 hours under IFR.

I will probably have to go to the States to do some type ratings.

Could someone suggest the best quickest simplest way from there to having an FAA ATPL/IR?

EGKB Biggin Hill

You need to do the whole ATP-CTP course now. No other way. Then the written then the checkride.

This assumes you hold an FAA ME SEL rating already.

EGTK Oxford

When you say the couse, is that just TK or flown too?

EGKB Biggin Hill

It is a serious course with sim time.

https://atpflightschool.com/atp/ctp/

You will also need to consider how to go from 61.75 PPL to ATP standalone. It was somewhat complex. I am not sure you can do it from the IFP IR written. Better if you had US test passed ie you did the normal US instrument test.

Is there a particular reason you need an FAA ATP?

Last Edited by JasonC at 25 Aug 22:40
EGTK Oxford

JasonC wrote:

Is there a particular reason you need an FAA ATP?

Um…yes

Otherwise this would be rather a pointless thread

EGKB Biggin Hill

Timothy wrote:

Um…yes

Otherwise this would be rather a pointless thread

No it could still be interesting to others. Anyway it is not a trivial thing and there is not, to my knowlege, an easy conversion route that avoids the complexity.

EGTK Oxford

A previous thread is here.

It used to be just FAA PPL → FAA CPL → FAA ATP (which unlike the CPL includes the IR). A each point, one written exam and one checkride. The ATP also needed 1500hrs TT including 100hrs night.

Not any more; the ATP needs some sim time etc. Today you can’t even sit the ATP written.

There may be some validation route… historically there have been such routes for ATPL holders.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

There may be some validation route… historically there have been such routes for ATPL holders.

That’s what I was hoping for. It seems a bit weird that someone who has held an ICAO ATPL for 30 years, and has a 61.75 PPL/IR should have to start from the beginning.

EGKB Biggin Hill

I suggest you contact Ben Gabriel at ATP Flight School – you can go from PPL to ATP, you don’t need to do the FAA CPL. The upset recovery training is also being phased in. Alternatively your type rating provider might be able to provide the necessary multi crew jet SIM time as part of the type rating?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

RobertL18C wrote:

Alternatively your type rating provider might be able to provide the necessary multi crew jet SIM time as part of the type rating?

I have asked about this in the past and it is a 5 day course and not just some sim time.

EGTK Oxford
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message