Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Getting rid of the vacuum pump , and Garmin G5

Ultranomad wrote:

I haven’t installed my G5 yet, but I have played with it on the bench and can confirm it does not need air data or GPS to display attitude. Upon power-up it says “ALIGNING” for a few seconds and then shows a fully functional AI.

If the aircraft is on the grund, there is no need for either air data or GPS to display attitude as there are no inertial forces on the aircraft. The G1000 also shows attitude a short while after powering up, but it certainly needs air data or GPS to function in the air.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

lionel wrote:

I assume that test is done in a situation where the G5’s internal GPS receiver cannot get a GPS signal?

Affirm. It was done indoors with no GPS signal of sufficient strength.

Airborne_Again wrote:

If the aircraft is on the grund, there is no need for either air data or GPS to display attitude as there are no inertial forces on the aircraft.

I subjected it to all kinds of evolutions in my hands – pirouettes, etc. Seems to work fine. I can also test it in flight without air data and with/without GPS, but it won’t happen until the end of this month.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

I think the lastest Aspen removes the air data as a single failure point. GPS aided AHRS in case of Air Data failure

EGTF, LFTF

denopa wrote:

I think the lastest Aspen removes the air data as a single failure point. "GPS aided AHRS in case of Air Data failure ":https://aspenavionics.com/products/general-aviation/efd-1000-pro-max

My understanding is still that they will offer this in the future, now scheduled for first quarter of 2019. The “overview” tab of the page you link to says:

This revolutionary upgrade will be available in the first quarter of 2019!

Last Edited by lionel at 13 Sep 12:31
ELLX

Is the RCA2610 Digital attitude indicator suitable?

It seems to be much simpler than Garmin G5 and quite expensive for a single function.

LRIA, Romania

My vaccum pump is an Airborne/Parker 211CC dry type.

Following reports in the past 20 years, it seems it’s the most unreliable piece of equipment installed in a plane (maybe except those Socata landing gear relays)…

In perfect conditions it’s designed to last for 400 hours, but they usually break much sooner, many times immediately after a replacement. Sensitive to dust, oil, temperature, sunshine, you name it.

LRIA, Romania

I change my vac pump every 2 years. One can tell it is on its way out from the vacuum reading at 1200rpm. Not had a failure yet (2000 airborne hours so far).

I use Tempest pumps; they are claimed to be of better quality than the others.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

We are about to install two Garmin G5s in our Piper PA28 Archer II at the aero club. Since our mechanic has not done this before I am going to help him prepare most of it so we have everything in place before we put the screw driver in the panel. One of the pros about installing two G5s is that the vacuum system becomes useless.
But how do we proceed to legally remove it for IFR flying? I am thinking about the paperwork.

Here is what I have found so far:

1. The G5 installation manual specifically says that it can be removed
  2. The aircraft POH does not have a KOEL that mandates it(it refers to Part 91 and Part 135)
  3. The type certificate does not mention the vacuum system

What are your thoughts on this?

ESSZ, Sweden

Fly310 wrote:

What are your thoughts on this?

That certification is a PITA

I don’t get it. If the G5 is certified as primary (not backup etc), and everything is according to Part NCO (and any other applicable “part”), then what could be the problem when removing redundant systems? Weight and balance is the only thing I can think of that has to be redone, maybe the magnetic compass?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
Sign in to add your message