Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Good value centrally located IFR airports

Having been based at LIML for some years, I always felt Milano Linate was unique in being good value, centrally located and when VFR, with a pista turistica. The Abesi SID northbound may be stretching the typical GA piston aircraft but otherwise the closest to an accessible metropolitan airport, GA is going to find this side of the Atlantic.

There was a time when Dublin International was equally accessible but this must be nearly fifteen years ago, or more.

So are there any other metropolitan airports with ATC, ILS and ready access to the relevant city, and where handling and overnight parking are reasonable. Linate used to be around €30-50 for handling, and then a bargain €3 daily parking!

Munich might point to Augsburg, London to Biggin and Southend, any others?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Can’t really compare Linate with Augsburg or Biggin. A city airport IMHO is where you can take a taxi straight to the city square and pay no more than 25 Euros.

Unfortunately, not many of these affordable IFR ones in Europe when looking only at metropoles. Even Linate nowadays costs between 60 and 100€.

Can’t think of even one at the moment.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 21 May 17:06
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Bosco for us with bracci corti it is only €1.50 bus fare into S. Babila!

There is the GA field at Rejkyavik but I think they maybe closing it?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Belgrade.

Bosco for us with bracci corti it is only €1.50 bus fare into S. Babila!

There is the GA field at Rejkyavik but I think they maybe closing it?

250€ a pop… but it looks like they might not close it.

Last time I was at Linate, the handler brought me up to the bus station. Took the taxi on the way back. 11€.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 21 May 17:18
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

EBAW Antwerpen: landing fee some 40-50 euro (or so ISTR), ILS, frequent bus service to the nearby city centre. And according to one member here, mandatory handling can be avoided.
Whether you wish to call Antwerp a metropolis is another matter. It certainly is less of a city than Milano, but perhaps more than Reykjavik.

Last Edited by at 21 May 18:29
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Roskilde EKRK for Kopenhagen.
Landing fee very modest. I remember paying about 30€ for landing + 2 nights parking. Two hard runways with ILS.
Short taxi ride to the railway station. From there a quick train ride to the city center.

Goteborg ESGP is on my todo list and seem to be convenient and reasonably priced…

Vienna (LOWW) isn’t too bad for a big airport, around EUR 150,- incl the pax fees. Train to city center (although getting from the GA terminal to the train station in the main terminal may be an issue).

Urbe (LIRU) and Ciampino (LIRC) are very close to Rome. I heard that Urbe has become PPR (?). Cannes (LFMD) as well as Nice (no longer blw 2t) are central.
Pisa, Florence and Genova all within 25€ taxi range IIRC.

Last Edited by nobbi at 21 May 20:23
EDxx, Germany
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message