Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Goodbye Cambridge (EGSC)

EGSC is symptomatic of the “can’t do” attitude of many GA airfields in the UK. Airifields you can only fly out of and not into are pretty much useless. Cambridge airfield management and anyone in the CAA who brought on this “no weekend visitors” ought to be ashamed of themselves.

Andreas IOM

I see that the info about the airfield being essentially closed on weekends is now no longer in form of a NOTAM, but has been moved right into the AIP. So, it looks like this has now even become permanent. How embarassing…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

As EGSC has already announced that they are closing in a few years time, why would they bother?

EGTR

Yes, it is no longer temporary by NOTAMS or special request, it went permanent in the AIP now and there is no other way around it !

They even don’t allow booking approach for practices on weekends (even without landing) but I am sure people (me included) will just make RT calls and fly tILS feathers in class G until ATZ while looking out and observing rule 5 then break-off, assuming it is working

Last Edited by Ibra at 27 Feb 14:03
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Such a great airfield, close to such a great city. A story of utter mismanagement.

Yes; Duxford is not so far away but VFR-only.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I think it’s more deliberate policy than mismanagement. They want to move out and sell the site for housing development, so why would they not run it down in the final few years?

They want to ensure that eventual closure is a low key event with the gates quietly locked for the last time. They don’t want thriving flying schools and clubs turfed out on the last day in a wave of bad publicity and ‘save our airport’ stuff that could cause problems with the planning applications.

EGLM & EGTN

Cambridge posted an announcement on their website that they will be open 7 days a week again:

EGTF, EGLK, United Kingdom

Good news, finally. No NOTAM yet though, two days before this supposed date…

A pity this comes in a year when few people will make use of it. The Duxford events are also cancelled, except Battle of Britain, which has not (yet?) been cancelled.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Time for a fly-in?

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Would be great if they are open on weekends !

Yes, nothing in Notams and the AIP on hours (May21), also remark 12 in AIP on “immigration flight approval” need to be arranged for flights inbound from outside CTA (e.g. CI, Ireland & UK), say France, well this is inline with it being Customs airport and Police designated (ok for CI & NI flights) but not Immigration Airport (so CTA only) and has no Certificate of Agreement, the funny bit a private grass strip does not need any “immigration flight approval” from EU, just sending GAR does the job !

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message