Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Goodwood Revival ban on fixed wing

Disappointed to be told this year I was not permitted to arrive at Goodwood Aerodrome in a fixed wing aircraft for the Revival weekend. They said the Hunter crash at Shoreham had prompted a risk assessment and it was considered too risky to have aircraft landing when the race track was live.

I’m confused as to how they justify rotary machines being safe to use the airfield but not fixed wing.

Is anyone aware if this is likely to change for next year or at least allow some staggered arrivals between races?

Didn’t Goodwood always shaft GA by charging something like £200 to land there during that weekend?

You could fly to say Shoreham and rent a limousine to take you to Goodwood.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

ou could fly to say Shoreham and rent a limousine to take you to Goodwood.

… or a helicopter Maybe the helicopter industry is behind this… But regarding the risk: Helicopters mainly have accidents during takeoff, landing and hover. In most cases they drop vertically with minimal damage and casualties on the ground. Aircraft mainly crash with a high forward speed thereby wiping out whatever is in their way with potentially many more casualties. Therefore I can understand very well why aircraft are banned and helicopters are not.

EDDS - Stuttgart

A few years ago, before it became massively popular, they were touting GA. From memory I think in the region of 75.00 quid, and that included a meet and greet, chauffeur limo to your hotel, blah, blah, blah……..I received an e Mail on it, plus a comp glass of shampoo.

Then, 250 quid, then we don’t really want you……it’s gotten, like Glastonbury, terribly corporate. Riffraff arriving in their own planes. Cannot have that. We want multi millionaires in gleaming Ferraris, old Jags, worth 2 mill. We want bankers, CEO.s, and other farm animals from the golden troughs.

It does not surprise me in the slightest that they have now banned GA. so,,guess I won’t be going then. Helicopters are very dangerous.

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

Peter wrote:

Didn’t Goodwood always shaft GA by charging something like £200 to land there during that weekend?

Isn’t that called business rather than shafting GA? Would imagine a limo both ways to Shoreham would dramatically exceed £200.

Last Edited by JasonC at 13 Sep 20:13
EGTK Oxford

Well, the difference between good business and shafting people is IMHO according to the “perception of greed”.

Every manufacturer who can is making their widget for £1 and selling it for £5 or even £10. There is nothing wrong with shafting people provided they feel they are getting value for money

The problem with Goodwood during the festival, and many other airports the whole time, is that they are sticking their middle finger at you. They do it because they can but really most people can see they are being told to f- off and they will not support Goodwood in the long run.

Not everything in the world should be priced right up to the point where the supply and demand are exactly matched. That works in the short term for making a fast buck but usually the customers can see the supplier is taking the pi*ss and they will extract their revenge when they get a chance, and usually not too much later because most like to do it before they forget

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Sure but Goodwood Revival is a major British event and like all of these they are premium priced. Not talking about normal airfield pricing.

I am not sure £200 is the equilibrium price. I am sure they could double it and enough people would still fly in.

EGTK Oxford

It is the associated business that gets hurt, eventually. Before I realised the landing fee would be 250, I was staying at the hotel. For my wife and two kids, 1200 for the weekend. Call me childish, but I cancelled, due to the fee. The hotelier lost my business. Sure, someone else may have taken the slack, but they lost me forever

Last Edited by BeechBaby at 13 Sep 21:14
Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

I went a couple of times flying in, and also to Le Mans and the Gran Prix – do you know what – I wouldnt go again. Clearly I just dont understand it enough, but they didnt thrill or inspire and didnt offer value for money, but clearly a huge number of people think differently. Mind you I also cant see the fascination spending the price of a Premier match every weekend – but I would like someone to explain what they see in it ;-)

Over ten years ago I think they encouraged you to fly in if you had tickets for the Festival of Speed, and the landing fee was the usual, or possibly may have been included in the festival ticket. Am sure if you turned up in a representative vintage type (Spartan, Cabin Waco, Lockheed Electra Junior) they might waive the landing fee still.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
18 Posts
Sign in to add your message