Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GoPro ... first tests

Today I made a test with my new GoPro camera, attached to the headband… Clearly it’s “mounted” a little too high, so I have to improve that, but the image quality is fun, I think.

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 17 Dec 21:15

Image quality is fine but personally I prefer a fixed camera position

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Yes, maybe that’s nicer … I have to experiment a bit. I thought the subjective pilot’s perspective might be interesting, but of course this is not yet the result i wanted

It appreciate is an illusion, probably due to the wide angle lens, but it looks like you are going FAST!!

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Yes, it’s that 120 degree wideangle… I acually always land below the POH speeds when the airplane is LIGHT (-1 kt for every 100 lb under MTOM)… in this case i landed with 73 knots, if I remember correctly. 77 is the short fueld speed, which is my maximum anyway.

I am a big advocat of the SLOWER landing.

I also don’t use the brakes on my home runway and just let it run til the end to save a little money and work on the brakes.

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 18 Dec 10:42

I haven’t flown an SR22 but presume the bleep on landing is the stall warner?

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Yes, it comes on a couple of knots before the actual stall, like in all airplanes, so i would say this was a pretty good landing.

I am a big advocat of the SLOWER landing.

Me too. Vref over the threshold, and from there on let the speed bleed off while still in the air – unless the runway is very short and/or wet or there is a large amount of crosswind or turbulence, where directional control and braking action is more important than tyre and brake wear.

EDDS - Stuttgart

I guess you are not looking for a flying critique Alexis but from that perspective the approach seems awfully low. It’s what they call here “dragging it in”.

I would also try a narrower angle lens. It will produce less distortion. You don’t really need to show any part of the cockpit, IMHO. Also try to mount the camera as close to the front window as possible, because it de-focuses any imperfections in the material. But I am certain you know all that, so maybe you were after a different effect. I just think that the world is already full of videos done with a fish-eye (that’s a joke) lens on the end of a go-pro or similar. A bit like every For Sale poster in the 1980s was done with Pagemaker and you could always tell because the “graphic artist” used all 123 fonts that came with the program

I think the art of using these cameras (whose basic – as in the sensor+optics – video quality is very good) is to make the end result look like it was not done with one of them. I wouldn’t know how to do that, which is why I use a semi-pro video camera if I want a really good result, but a narrower angle lens would probably be a starting point. One day I will anti-vibration mount the Nokia 808 and that should also produce a very good 1080P result.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It’s really interesting how many private pilots fear the slow approach and landing (i am talking about a regular approach and landing in low wind conditions) – while the statistics really make it clear that most landing accidents happen because the speed was too high and not too low.

For some time I was checking out pilots in my other plane (Piper Warrior) and in the club’s Robin 3000, and it’s really astonishing how little speed control many pilots have – even in those planes that will not bite. Plus five for the wife, plus five for the kids, plus five for 3 knots of wind… and another 5 because “it’s hot and the air is thin today” (heard that one about 3 times).

I am glad i had an instructor who said “If you are able to fly 75 you can sure fly 73 aswell” :-)

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 18 Dec 11:12
21 Posts
Sign in to add your message