Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GPS approaches -> Checkout?

all my SEP renewals were done just by signature of FE as I have 12+ hours and met all other conditions

Is that really possible? Just a signature from an FE every year? I don’t think it’s possible in the UK.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Just a signature from an FE every year?

Never thought about that Peter but now following the discussion, you can fill the data in and send it to the CAA with the signature of the FI and that’s it. Here we also need a flight office (i.e. GAC employees at the Zurich airport) to sign off the hours (counting your logbook and saying “OK”) which costs another 25 bucks. I don’t know if this can be avoided.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

This currently is country specific, because it has not been regulated on the European level. But efforts are ongoing, as has also been said. Everyone giving answers here should state for which country they are speaking.

If you have a French licence, the requirements for being legal to do RNP approaches are laid out here (page 13):
RNP APCH guidance DGAC

I just went through the process of having the RNAV specific contents of my IR training (which I did outside of France) approved by the DGAC.

What is ridiculous about the Swiss, IIRC, is that they want everyone that does an RNAV approach in Switzerland to have done their training in Switzerland. So even though I have the approved training for my French licence, if I wanted to do an approach in Switzerland, I would have to get training there first.

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 15 Nov 18:22

Vladimir wrote:

send it to the CAA with the signature of the FI

no sure about UK but in CZ you need to visit the FE and he will sign the form when all conditions are met. One of the condition is to have a signature of FI on the same form, you can´t substitute that by logbook entry. So it´s not about just sending form with FI signature to the CAA.

Peter wrote:

Is that really possible? Just a signature from an FE every year?

every two years..

please note IR is a different story, you need to fly every two years and simulator is not accepted. At least up to know.

Last Edited by Michal at 15 Nov 18:43
LKKU, LKTB

This is really basic and I really should know this but I don’t think you can revalidate the SEP Class Rating by experience every 2 years and just do that for ever – here in the UK – provided you did more than 12 hours during the period.

The JAA/EASA IR, yes, a flight with an IRE/CRR or FE/IR every year. Actually I stopped revalidating mine after the April 2016 postponement was announced because it saves me 150-200 quid plus the flight. Current UK CAA rules allow this for up to 7 years. Maybe we will get another postponement, April 2017.

The UK does not currently have a signoff requirement for GPS approaches.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

I don’t think you can revalidate the SEP

yes, you can, someone copy and paste CAA UK paper….

LKKU, LKTB

boscomantico wrote:

I am a bit worried about what EASA will work out there. Let’s just hope it willl have sensible grandfatheting rules for those who already have such approaches in their logbook.

Funny you should mention that. It was discussed at EASA Committee 10 days ago, and EASA got a rough ride from a number of member states. The proposal (which was IMO worse than what was in the Opinion) wasn’t adopted, and the process has gone to written procedure.

Peter wrote:

This is really basic and I really should know this but I don’t think you can revalidate the SEP Class Rating by experience every 2 years and just do that for ever – here in the UK – provided you did more than 12 hours during the period.

Plus 1 hour with an instructor, then you can revalidate by experience as long as you want.

Now retired from forums best wishes

We did this here

The 1hr flight with an FI (it can even be a CRI) cannot be avoided, in the UK, AFAICT.

You also need an Examiner to sign the logbook.

Administrator

Peter_Mundy wrote:

That was what was being said yesterday at the GA Workshop at Lelystad by somebody from the Dutch CAA

He also said that this was still a Dutch CAA regulation, but will change when EASA comes with regulations. Which where expected soon according that guy. Not sure how soon, reading Bookworm’s reply.

They guy also said grand fathering was not possible, as you con’t not legally fly this procedure now, so it can not be a grandfather right.

I was amazed on the old fashioned look to this “new” GPS technology. Would almost make you smile.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ
Sign in to add your message