Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GPS-approaches into uncontrolled/closed airports

Dear all,

I know that these kind of approaches are allowed in France but are there any countries that allows them? We have started a small project in Sweden with the aim to get this legal. I have seen that many of you are flying in France, have you tried this kind of approach and how was it? (I expect it to be pretty straight forward)

The French AIP states the following:
ENR 1.5.2.10 Utilization of instrument procedures without air traffic service at the aerodrome
Instruments approach procedures are only permitted in following conditions:

• the parameter “altimeter setting QNH” is transmitted by a STAP (Automatic transmission system of parameters) ;
• QNH is transmitted by a designated station referred on the IAC.
• alternate airfield, selected by operator or aircrew is provided with an ATC unit during planned operating hours.

The approaches procedures are compulsorily followed with a circling for which minima are possibly increased and published. By night, an operator agent should have to be at the aerodrome to carry out scheduled air public transport operations and should to get approval instructions from the suitable air traffic service enabling him to trig the safety plan of aerodrome and emergency phases if necessary.
The instruments approach procedures are not allowed when:

• the following sentence is published: “prohibited procedure out of ATS HOR” (on account of necessary coordination, dangerous surroundings which prohibit definitely such manoeuvers):
• no approved station is published, and no STAP (Automatic transmission system of parameters) on the aerodrome.

The rules for joining the aerodrome circuit at the end of an instrument approach procedure are set by the Order of 17 July 1992 on General Air Traffic procedures for aerodromes’ utilization by aircraft.

I believe that this is a necessary next step for GA and to help it grow. When Part-NCO enters into force it also comes with a pretty interesting paragraph:

NCO.OP.115 Departure and approach procedures — aeroplanes and helicopters
(a) The pilot-in-command shall use the departure and approach procedures established by the State of the aerodrome, if such procedures have been published for the runway or FATO to be used.
(b) The pilot-in-command may deviate from a published departure route, arrival route or approach procedure:
(1) provided obstacle clearance criteria can be observed, full account is taken of the operating conditions and any ATC clearance is adhered to; or
(2) when being radar-vectored by an ATC unit

What does it mean? Does it mean that you can legally make your own approach? Does it mean that you can make a GPS-approach “on top” of an NDB-approach if you are not equipped with ADF?(AMC/GM doesn’t say anything on this)

Last Edited by Fly310 at 02 Jan 08:33
ESSZ, Sweden

does anybody knows what EASA rules are related to using of airport outside of operational hours? as uncontrolled field, at full responsibility of the PIC? I guess this is country by country but any guidance will help – we are trying to convince our aiport owner this is nothing elegal…..

LKKU, LKTB

I think there is a difference between airport operating hours and ATC operating hours. The airport can be 24H even though ATC is only available a part of it. I guess that the airport owner can make sure that the airport stays open 24H according to the AIP. I hope we are not drifting off topic too much.

@Michal, I compared LKKU with ESOW here in Sweden which is available 24H. In the AIP, Kunovice has not published any operational hours for “AD operating hours” which ESOW has: https://aro.lfv.se/Editorial/View/979/ES_AD_2_ESOW_en

It states operational hours for both “AD Administration” and “AD Operating hours”.

Last Edited by Fly310 at 02 Jan 09:12
ESSZ, Sweden

yep, there is a difference but in our case this is single building, group of people under the same management. agree with you, let´s focus on your topic first.

LKKU, LKTB

Avinor has lots of airports in G airspace. They are manned with ATS and open for VFR and IFR for scheduled and unscheduled flight. When closed (unmanned) they are only open for VFR day. AFAIK it is Avinor that has made these regulation, there is no general restrictions on IFR (as such) on “closed” (unmanned) airports for non scheduled flights. There is however a requirement (CAA regulation) that airports are manned for landing/take off in IMC, also for non scheduled flight. There are some non-Avinor airports (in G), and they are open (I think?) for IFR all the time, (except in IMC. when they have to be manned). Avinor is implementing remote controlled airports on all of these, so manned/closed or not becomes irrelevant in a few years anyway (and many in C/D also for that matter).

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

The vast majority of airports in the US do not have control towers but at least 5000 of these airports have instrument approaches. Approaches of all types have been permitted without any ground ATC available. My airport has three approaches and is typical of a non towered airport. The airport is in class G airspace up to 700 AGL and above that is class E. ATC uses a one in one out method to separate IFR traffic. My airport has an ASOS, so it is used for local weather and the altimeter setting. Some airports use a nearby reporting station to obtain a remote altimeter setting. In this case, when a remote altimeter setting is used, the minimums are adjusted for the additional uncertainty. Typically, one is cleared for the approach and just prior to reaching the FAF, the controller indicates that radar service is terminated, frequency change approved. One then switches to the unicom frequency and self announces they are on the approach and monitors for VFR traffic. Example, Rock Hill traffic, Bonanza 83N straight in 7 mile final, runway 2, Rock Hill. Once safely on the ground, you are supposed to call ATC or FSS via the phone or radio to close the IFR flightplan. If you don’t contact ATC, the airport will be closed to IFR traffic until it is verified you are on the ground or a half an hour transpires. We have a remote frequency link to ATC on the ground, but even in rural areas, one can typically call on their cell phone to cancel.

IFR departures are handled by obtaining a clearance from FSS or via radio/phone from the local ATC. If there is radio contact, ATC will clear the aircraft with a hold for release. When you are ready to go, you contact ATC and they will give you a release and any departure instructions such as the initial heading and altitude. A typical clearance will go something like this: Bonanza 7083N is released, time now 1200Z, clearance void if not off by 1210Z, if not off by 1210Z, advise on this frequency not later than 1215Z of intentions. If there is no means of radio contact, the pilot will be given a release and a void time as part of the initial clearance, so it is best to be ready to go. In the old days, you had to race out to the airplane after the FSS call so you would not miss your void time.

At a non towered airport, there is no separation from VFR aircraft, so pilots must use see and avoid. In class G airspace, the only VFR limitation is visibility of at least 1 SM and there is no ceiling requirement, so 200 overcast and 1 SM visibility is a beautiful day in the pattern for VFR traffic. Fortunately very few fools fly VFR under these conditions and I have never heard of a mid air because of VFR traffic and IFR traffic meeting up with one another at minimums.

KUZA, United States

Yes, NCYankee – rub it in!!! But I thought the US don’t care much about refugees ;-))
Actually i own a piece of land in WI, have to check if i could build a runway there, get an IAP … build a hut, fly my Cirrus over and stay :-)

We are a country of immigrants excepting the native americans and even they supposedly came across from Asia during the last ice age.

KUZA, United States

Good to know. Let me talk about it with my wife, kids. I hope the 5000 instrument approaches will convince them ;-)

Really, i envy you for that system. I wish i would have the chance to live such a pilot-life at least for some years. Maybe i can do it once the kids are out of school. Or i let them study in CA and come along :-)

Flyer59 wrote:

fly my Cirrus over and stay :-)

IME, it might just turn out cheaper to just buy one for over there ;-)

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland
37 Posts
Sign in to add your message