Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GPS database - can one skip updates, and how long do they run for if not updated?

Misunderstanding, sorry.

In the Cirrus with Avidyne Avionics:

- the Navdata from Jeppesen is loaded into the GNS430s (data cards)
- the Navdata for the MFD is loaded into the MFD by USB flash
- the Charts are loaded into the MFD by USB flash
- ther Garmin terrain data is loaded into the Navcoms (right slot)

There’s also a terrain database for the EGPWS system, but that’s a CF card in the EGPWS behind the Pilot’s side kick plate

Signed up for years Navdata Central Europe for a GTN650.
Can i skip some winter months and save them for later or are they then lost?

pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

Lost forever

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Hmmm… with King units (e.g. KLN94) you can skip cycles and stretch out the 13 cycle sub over 18 months. I always skip cycles in the winter.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yep with Garmin you subscribe for monthly cycles for a year. You can use them or lose them.

EGTK Oxford

I leapfrog my GTN datacards, such that the current set are in the GTN boxes, the previous set are in my flightbag and then, when the AIRAC cycle comes, I upgrade the ones at home, take them to the aircraft and swap.

I assume that that is SOP, especially as the SDHC cards cost oompence.

But this causes an irritation. Although NavData is updated every month, Obstacles and SafeTaxi only update every other month.

That means that I have to spend the whole month rejecting the opportunity to downgrade those two databases everytime I boot the boxes.

Has anyone found a way around this annoyance?

EGKB Biggin Hill

I think I have.
I managed to clone my Garmin SD card using

http://www.roadkil.net/program.php?ProgramID=12

With a cloned card I have the same terrain, safe taxi etc. on both cards. Since I used the upgrade coming with the GTN box to completely upgrade one card with all databases they are not equal.
With the cloned card I have two equal cards and can leapfrog without the prompt to update or continue on the GTN.

Last Edited by pmh at 05 Feb 19:33
pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

How do you do the cloning if one pair of cards is in the aircraft, the other in the flightbag and the computer at home?

EGKB Biggin Hill

Why not get Garmin Flightstream 510 and then you don’t need to load databases onto cards at all – they’re loaded wirelessly from a tablet into one GTN and will transfer automatically into multiple other connected GTN and G500/600 units.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

Can you give me an estimate, wigglyamp?

EGKB Biggin Hill
Sign in to add your message