Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GPS database - can one skip updates, and how long do they run for if not updated?

You could clone a card every month the full upgrade is available. Then update the cloned copy the second month with the navdata.
Have you tried calling Jepp support?

pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

Wigglyamp,

Thank you. It looks like to use the Flightstream 510 I also have to get my data through Garmin and use Garmin Pilot – is that right?

pmh,

Yes, I think you are right. It’s a little more admin burden, but I think that would work. I think I would need a third pair of SD cards, and then it would be a little like the fox, the rabbit and the cabbage, but I think it works.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Timothy, I don’t have any experience with updating GTN boxes and may have only grasped part of the issue. But have you tried deleting the old ST & O data from the card on which you save a new Nav data cycle which comes without ST & O?

Timothy wrote:

Thank you. It looks like to use the Flightstream 510 I also have to get my data through Garmin and use Garmin Pilot – is that right?

Yes that’s correct. I understand that may users find Jeppesen problematic in any case.
I believe there is now an agreed method to transfer an existing subscription from Jepp to FlyGarmin – probably best to call Garmin Europe to discuss this aspect as I’m not an active user.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

Rwy20 wrote:

Timothy, I don’t have any experience with updating GTN boxes and may have only grasped part of the issue. But have you tried deleting the old ST & O data from the card on which you save a new Nav data cycle which comes without ST & O?

That’s a clever idea!

EGKB Biggin Hill

@Timothy,
fly.garmin allows us to “reinstall” a database:

So, instead of keeping our spare card in a flight bag with last month’s databases until next month, we should be able to update it straight away. Then when when we apply next month’s update, it will be up to date.

…but I haven’t tried it yet, so that procedure may be too easy to be true.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Ah. Maybe the answer is to move to Garmin, then.

At least that gets me away from Jepp’s appalling accounting system!

Does anyone know any good reason to stick with Jepp?

EGKB Biggin Hill

Does the Jepp annual subscription include more than one terrain update?

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Jacko wrote:

Does the Jepp annual subscription include more than one terrain update?

I think terrain updates (as opposed to obstacles) are very few and far between, on the grounds that mountains grow very slowly! I guess new volcanic islands might be an issue.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Does anyone know how long a GTN keeps running for if the database is not updated, for

• enroute
  • approaches

I suspect enroute may never expire, but approaches will after something like a few months. But I have never seen any real data.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message