Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GPS database - can one skip updates, and how long do they run for if not updated?

Clearly everybody here with a GTN always updates their database at every cycle

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’ve been reading up some stuff in the USA about this, and it is a complicated matrix.

Enroute databases (present in every VFR and IFR GPS) seem to never stop working. That’s just as well otherwise the GPS would become completely useless. However in some cases the grid MSAs will no longer be displayed after a certain time.

Jeppesen terminal charts seem to stop working 60-70 days from the database expiration date.
Jeppesen Chartview (not sure what this is) stop working 70 days from the database expiration date.

Garmin Flitecharts (in Europe these are just the free terminal charts from the AIP) seem to stop working 180 days from the database expiration date.
Garmin SafeTaxi never stop working (which is great).

Instrument approaches (present in every IFR GPS) seem to vary. In the old GNS 430 and 530 boxes, GNS480, and some KLN boxes, they never stop working. However I am fairly sure (not 100%) that in my KLN94 they do stop working something like 2 months after database expiration date.

Administrator

Jeppesen Chartview is the brand name of Jeppesen for displaying the terminal charts on a Garmin or similar MFD device in the cockpit.

P19 EDFE EDVE EDDS

I can confirm that the SafeTaxi charts on the Aera 660 don’t appear to ever stop working.

Administrator

I have one data point: my KLN94 still has the approaches, with a database which says “expired 10 October 2018”.

It will be interesting if it goes past 10th December, because that will be 2 months past the expiry, which some have reported as the Jeppesen limit.

Administrator

Does anyone know how long the IFD550 SV database runs for after you stopped paying for it?

Administrator

Maybe @steveavidyne knows.

Administrator
47 Posts
Sign in to add your message