Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GPS, or a tablet with Skydemon

here or Transair

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Any clues to what it is and where it can be found?

https://x-naut.com/

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

Very pretty.

Any clues to what it is and where it can be found?

Swanborough Farm (UK), Shoreham EGKA, Soysambu (Kenya), Kenya

I have had overheating multiple times and now use

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

alioth wrote:

I’ve never had an overheating issue with my iPad 3

Lots of people do. On a sunny day I keep mine under something else, so it isn’t in direct sunlight.

EGKB Biggin Hill

I’ve never had an overheating issue with my iPad 3, even using it in a Grumman Tiger (lots of window area) in Texas in the late spring (ground temperatures of ~30C, strong sunshine), either on the charger or off it.

The device still has 3 hours battery endurance with the screen on.

Andreas IOM

Skydemon saved my butt two years ago. My EHSI went dark on an IFR flight somewhere around Munich returned to Belgium with radar vectors after announcement to ATC of loss of compass system I knew perfectly were I was all the time thanks to SD. Having a separate GPS is again another point of failure. The samsung tablet I use has a very good GPS build in unlike the Ipad no heating issues whatsoever I used it already in very hot climate (Hungary summer time where the cockpit temps rise significantly). My set up is a ram mount in a Beech using the angelore RAM mount:
https://www.angerole.com/MountBeechRamBall.htm
I run SD on my smartphone also in case nothing goes… ;-). I would not build it in technology on consumer electronics is too fast changing, customer support etc… The first GPS build in I ever used was an ARNAV STAR 5000….long time ago..gone and dissipated ;-)..

EBST

Indeed it is a matter of interpretation.

the design of the equipment installation must take into account crashworthiness, arrangement and visibility, and should not interfere with other equipment, the canopy jettison (if applicable), and the emergency exit;

Nobody will be doing that much due diligence.

You would need to demonstrate structural strength of the mountings, for the required G, for a start.

data connectivity with the installed equipment and other equipment which is:
• required by TCDS, AFM or POH,

That will end it in most cases because the TCDS, AFM and POH will not mention the installation of portable kit.

required by other applicable requirements such as those for operations and airspace, or

For OCAS you may be OK because you can navigate with a tuna sandwich, but for BRNAV, forget any portable device because compliance will never be demonstrated even if it actually does it.

mandated by the respective MEL, if this exists,
is not allowed unless the equipment being installed is explicitly listed by its manufacturer as compatible equipment to be connected to;
— the equipment is suitable for the environmental conditions to be expected during normal operation;

Good luck with that:

Garmin 496 min temp -15C
Aera 660 min temp -15C, but +5C for charging i.e. for any power connection to be active
Ipad min temp 0C, max +35C, and -20C for storage (probably various specs over the years)
Samsung tablet 0C to +45C (may vary between devices)

So obviously no way this will comply with any environmental requirements for aviation use.

Especially not the Ipad, because both ends of its temp spec are clearly unsuitable when panel mounted. I also bet its +35C max temp is much lower when charging it; all tablets are much more prone to overheating during charging, in conjunction with sunlight, etc. This is why some of the more expensive mounts contain fans.

the equipment must be installed and tested in accordance with the equipment manufacturers’ instructions.

Garmin won’t authorise you to install any handheld in an aircraft. When I wrote up this and asked Garmin to check it for accuracy, they just arrogantly asked me if I got certification.

Obviously even more so for any tablet; no way the mfg will get involved.

I am not saying panel mounting an Ipad is going to set your plane on fire but I wonder who drew up this regulation because there is no way anybody can demonstrate compliance. And if an inspector is having even a slightly bad day, he can tear you apart with this.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

A point that I don’t think has been mentioned is that tablets are considerably more reliable if you have an external GPS unit on the coaming. Yes, it’s either another USB port, or another thing to remember to charge, and yes, you have to set up Bluetooth, but the upsides are big. I had a USB port installed in my coaming and have a 5cm USB cable, and the unit just sits there, always working. It obviates any problems with elements of the aircraft blocking views of satellites.

I particularly advocate the Garmin GLO, because it supports both Navstar (GPS) and GLONASS, and independent, Russian, source of position data.

On the wider point. iPad (and iPhone backup) with SkyDemon for me every time.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Peter wrote:

I do not believe there is a regulatory path for screwing the actual handheld (non TSO / non ETSO) GPS into the panel – in an aircraft with an ICAO CofA and whose TC permits IFR.

I guess it is all a matter of interpretation. CS-STAN excerpts:

Standard Change CS-SC052b INSTALLATION OF GNSS EQUIPMENT
1. Purpose
Installation or exchange of a GNSS equipment to enhance situational awareness. This also includes moving map GNSS based functions….
….
This SC does also not cover the connection of the GNSS equipment to any kind of AFCS nor to ADS-B OUT system

The only requirements on the GPS are:

— the design of the equipment installation must take into account crashworthiness, arrangement and visibility, and should not interfere with other equipment, the canopy jettison (if applicable), and the emergency exit;
— data connectivity with the installed equipment and other equipment which is:
• required by TCDS, AFM or POH,
• required by other applicable requirements such as those for operations and airspace, or
• mandated by the respective MEL, if this exists,
is not allowed unless the equipment being installed is explicitly listed by its manufacturer as compatible equipment to be connected to;
— the equipment is suitable for the environmental conditions to be expected during normal operation;
— the equipment must be installed and tested in accordance with the equipment manufacturers’ instructions.

There are no references to (E)TSOs or any other standards. So my interpretation is that this covers permanent installations of handheld GPSs or even iPads.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
39 Posts
Sign in to add your message