Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GPS question - replacing a Trimble 2000

Hello,
I am only a VFR flyer
my plane got a Trimble 2000 installed (that GPS would be nice for the antique road show on TV lol) aircraft is 28V
I would like to replace this with a bit more modern GPS that i also can couple to my STEC 55 AP
I also have a Sandel 3308 installed
I really would like to avoid to go down the Garmin 430 etc route due to costs
Are there any other options for this at resionable costs? my aircraft is EASA reg

thanks a lot

fly2000

What are you lumping together with GNS 430 by “etc.”? I can think of some variants, although a used non-WAAS GNS 430 may actually be a very good value for the money, especially if your radios are not yet 8.33 kHz compliant.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Hello i meant 430 530
noon WAAS 430 for 5k plus I personally dont find such a good value for money option for my needs

fly2000

If you already have a good autopilot like the 55 (is it a 55x?) and the Sandel, then I would go for a 430W.* I just bought two almost new ones for € 13.000 and sometimes you can find one for € 5000 too. And it’s really worth it. The normal 430s will have a support problem soon, because Garmin stopped supporting them, and with your other equipment you could have LNAV/VNAV and LPV!

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 12 Dec 09:40

As I said before all the nice gooddies of a W has no real benefit to me as I am only VFR

I am mainly looking for something to use with the AP

I am using skydemon for my GPS but I would not mind to have something coupeled to the AP The Trimle is, but it is really unfriendly to use and completly out of date and not possible to get updated

What about a KLN94?

fly2000

I think that’s just too old technology.

I think a good A/P like you have has to be coupled with the GPS. It’s an important safety feature and you will not save a lot of money not doing that when you install a new GPS. You can find a “normal” GNS430 for about 3-4000 on ebay USA, and I am sure that there will be ways to support it.

I could also argue: For a VFR pilot a coupled GPS approach is really the easiest to safley execute, and that’s really a lot of additional safety.

What about a KLN94?

Yes, but they still seem to sell for about 2500$, so not exactly cheap. Garmin 150/150XL/155XL cost a bit less.

But again: have you already solved the 8.33 issue? If not, the 430 will probably be the “cheapest” overall solution.

Are you sure you don’t want to fly IFR in a couple of years? Why not?

Last Edited by boscomantico at 12 Dec 10:02
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

i have been following ebay USA for some time now but to get a 430 for 3-4 k is not there anymore
i would be happy to spend 4 k but this is somehow the limit for me on this extra
kln 94 i was not thinking new or general i am thinking of buying something used

fly2000

Flyer59 why are you recommending a W box and LPV approaches to a VFR pilot?

Read his post before writing, and keep it relevant

There have been multiple complaints about lack of relevance in replies to requests for advice.

Do pilots of certain aircraft land VFR using coupled instrument approaches?

Also is there any evidence that database support will disappear for a 430? There are six figures of them flying.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Not sure if you have seen these reconditioned units….

http://www.gps.co.uk/garmin-gns-430-gpsnavcom-recertified/p-87-1247/

Nice company to deal with. Ask for Lawrence

Alex
Shoreham (EGKA) White Waltham (EGLM), United Kingdom
98 Posts
Sign in to add your message