Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GPS substitution for navaids - Europe generally - is it allowed? (and low vis ops)

Whoever it was we sure do appreciate the effort!

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Snoopy wrote:

I think only GNS430W, non W 430 is not RNAV1/RNP1/P-RNAV IIRC?

The non-W GNS430 does have RNAV1/RNP1/P-RNAV, as does the non-W G1000. I believe the common conception that it does not is because some (all?) European authorities initially refused to certify GNS430 installations for RNAV 1/RNP 1.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Xtophe wrote:

I read it RNAV5 or RNAV1 or RNP 1 or RNP APCH

Me too.

bookworm wrote:

Me too.

Not sure you are allowed to review your own work….
:)

EGTK Oxford

If I read this correctly it would not allow to fly a VOR or NDB approach with the GPS (like in the US?). At least not if VOR/NDB are used in the final approach segment:

The area navigation system should not be used:
(1) for substitution of the navigation aid (for example, a VOR or NDB) providing lateral
guidance for the final approach segment (although this does not preclude use of the area
navigation system, for example through the use of an overlay procedure retrieved from
its database, if the data from conventional aid is also continuously monitored); or
Switzerland

@Airborne_Again

This is from a 2011 G1000 DA40

Do you have more info on GNS430 (non W) and earlier G1000 being RNAV1 able?

Takk!

always learning
LO__, Austria

According to the Garmin spreadsheet, GNS4XX/5XX (non W) and G1000 without SBAS are all RNAV1, RNP1 and RNP APCH LNAV capable. They are not: RNP APCH LNAV/VNAV, LP, LPV, RNP AR APCH.

ELLX

@Snoopy,

…and this is from a 2006 G1000 C172. Don’t forget that equipment capability and installation approval are different things!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Thanks. Is it OEM dependent? For instance (earlier) Cessna G1000 are RNAV1 and Diamond are not? Can it be upgraded?

always learning
LO__, Austria

One example of this is here where Socata did an AFMS which was really useless. To be fair, it was all they could get past JAA/DGAC back then.

Pepper’s post above is interesting. I wonder if anyone can find examples. Doesn’t every NDB approach use the NDB for the final approach segment?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message