Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Greek Airports (being sold to FRAPORT in Germany) and many new problems

Fraport have been happy to take the money from the Greek airport revenues but have been slow at fulfilling their promises of developing the airports.

But they are starting to do some now. I was at Mykonos 2 weeks ago and saw some bulldozers so something is happening and for the first time in a Greek airport there was soap and toilet paper in the toilets. They also bought a lot of those movable crowd barriers, with “Fraport” printed all over them; that must have been a major investment in corporate identity.

I spoke to a worker there who said they are only just now starting to put some money back in, after 2 years. Nobody there thinks Fraport has been a good deal for Greece but they admit that

• Greece is unable to run airports, due to ages old union etc issues and working practices
  • Geeece had its back to the wall financially

This is going around social media right now and is probably accurate

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Recent report is that LGIR has no 100LL anymore. I think it was posted here…

LGIR NOTAM
A1851/19 – FUEL AVGAS NOT AVAILABLE. 10 JUN 10:53 2019 UNTIL 30 JUN 19:00 2019.
CREATED: 10 JUN 10:55 2019

It is temporarily not available because they switched location of the facility to the other side of the airport and are awaiting some sort of certification.
So only AVGAS in Crete is via Sitia LGST for now.

To avoid confusion in this thread : LGIR is public CAA, not FRAPORT.

LGMG Megara, Greece

On April 2018 I posted further up this long thread this picture of the Corfu aeroclub’s C172 stranded in an empty apron.
Stranded is subjective offcourse but the reasons were the great fees imposed on the aeroclub for being based there with no alternative option on the island.
From day 1 of Fraport’s operation in 2017 the aeroclub started being charged automatically for parking (and any flight) in the new high fees.
If they wanted to fly the aircraft they had to pay some 300 Euro (including handling) or some 150 Euro just to get to it by handler with handler’s bus.
Additionally they would have to pay the accumulated amount of parking fees to date before any next flight.
This made the Aeroclub decline its activity almost to 0.

Two years later, today, this aircraft crashed in northern Greece on its way from Corfu to Thessaloniki due to engine seizure inflight.
Luckily the pilot did a good job with an off airport landing on a road with minor injuries.
The aircraft is totaled.

Here’s the report from a Greek newspaper with pictures.
https://www.protothema.gr/greece/article/909553/grevena-anagastiki-prosgeiosi-gia-monokinitirio-aeroskafos/

It does not take a rocket scientist to guess the “contributing factors”.

As far as I know, maintenance was not possible in Corfu in the absence of based A&P.
Maybe they flew it elsewhere for maintenance but I don’t know what happened in these cases with the outstanding fees.

LGMG Megara, Greece

I saw the photo but didn’t realise it was that plane. That’s horrible. Will Fraport give a damn, I wonder?

Administrator

Do robots have feelings?

ESME, ESMS

I am shure they rub their hands.He,he..that was a God sent gift to free their parking space and terminate all quarels.Mytilini Aeroclub is also selling for same reasons.Good job guys!

LGGG

One might complain about Fraport but I have yet to see something like this at one of their airports :D

ESME, ESMS

@petakas: any indication Fraport might ease GA access to their airports when CAT has all but disappeared?

ESMK, Sweden

From July 1st tourist international flights to Greece will start with flocks of airliners flying in.
We can’t really know until then. (I’m not an expert in these numbers).
They will come in quantities but not as much as it was, say, last year.

I guess it will be a case by case scenario because in some days and some airports there will be lots of traffic whereas in others not.

It all gets down to that email you will send to the local handler (SKYSERV or GOLDAIR) with your request (even if its weeks ahead) and the response you will get.
On the “available” space they have for GA they do serve “first come first served”.
The problem is that this space is very limited (something like 2 to 4 light GA spaces per airport).

FRAPORT never denied PPR when they were operating below 90ish% capacity.
The problem has been until now that they operate their airports at almost full capacity and the small “elastic” capacity they leave spare is not dedicated to light GA.
Its a private busyness not a public service unfortunately.

On April 1st, two days before the GA lockdown in Greece, I flew return to Fraport Samos LGSM.
I got the PPR instantly the day before and the total cost (airport & handling incl. VAT) was 136€.
The time I flew in, the airport had two regional turborprops only.

LGMG Megara, Greece

I feel really sorry for Greece, which is going to get heavily infected now.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message