Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Ground power / external battery charging (merged)

A German pilot asked me this but he doesn’t want to ask publicly.

In the USA, many people have installed charging connectors, which enable a mains charger to be plugged in while the plane is in the hangar.

Obviously, a fuse must be installed close to the battery positive terminal, to protect against a fire if the connector, or the wire leading to it, gets shorted. Otherwise it is technically trivial. Unless the connector is waterproof when not mated (not many of those) it needs to be inboard.

What are the paperwork issues? I believe it is a Minor alternation on an N-reg, because it is not a “basic change” to the electrical system. But what about EASA-reg?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’ve seen it on a Mooney done by the shop that I go to so it mustn’t be too difficult.

I just take the access panel off and put the clamps on. Not long to do and takes care of the “ensure proper airflow when charging”.

Last Edited by Shorrick_Mk2 at 05 Jun 06:58

Unless the connector is waterproof when not mated (not many of those) it needs to be inboard.

Well, depends… PA28s external power connectors don’t seem waterproof to me and they work fine. They connect to the electrical system via a relay so if no external power is plugged in, there is no voltage in the connector.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

That is so minuscule, I wouldn’t even bother thinking about the legality aspect.

I agree with Achim, why bother even asking on that? If it is ever a problem, remove it.

EGTK Oxford

That is so minuscule, I wouldn’t even bother thinking about the legality aspect.

I tend to agree with you, but for one thing: The hangar fire mentioned by Peter. Our aircraft have external power connectors and we have professional ground power units available, but it is strictly forbidden to use them unattended. The batteries have heat sensors but they are not connected/connectable to the ground power units so there is no protection against battery overheat. So leaving something plugged into your aircraft while no one is near might lead to some interesting legal litigation in case of a fire. More so, if there is no approval of any sort.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Use a proper charger from CTEK or similar, they are very widespread and used all over the planet with historic cars, motorbikes, boats, etc. I’ve been using one for years with my aircraft. It is always connected.

This is clearly a risk I for myself am willing to take.

About all those little no-brainer aircraft modifications: what can happen? There is the remote chance that somebody might declare the aircraft to be unairworthy because of the modification. Then it has to be undone and declared airworthy again. How dramatic is that? Would I not install LED light bulbs because they are not EASA STC’ed? Ha-ha!

Install fire protection/alarm in the hangar.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I have six vehicles/batteries (permanently) on Battery Tenders in my hangar, using the typical SAE 2-pin connectors. One of them is on the plane and I don’t worry much about any of them except to make sure the wiring and connectors are in good order, including the rubber connector plug for when they are disconnected. The plane’s battery is in the aft fuselage with easy access, so the pigtail from the battery box can be short and well secured inside the fuselage.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 05 Jun 12:43

Hi all,
Check if your cig lighter outlet is directly connected to the battery (ie not via the master) Some are wired so you can take a smoke without switching on the master.. :/ Could be a possibility.

ESG..., Sweden
Sign in to add your message