Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Ground Power Unit (commercial or DIY)

I know what I’m posting and I don’t make any claims that would not hold up in court

I have a GPU from them and it was a big mistake. I had to rework it to make it work and to avoid being electrocuted. When I first posted about my experience on a German forum, several people reported similar stories.

OK. Anybody with experiences with other GPU variants on the market?

TB20 Airman
Borkenberge EDLB, Germany

A GPU is used to start a turbine.

What you need is an external power supply. I have this one:

http://startpac.com/products/aviation/model-53025-24v/

I trust they have a good money-back policy

I built two of these – one example is earlier in this thread. Also here

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
I wonder why your avionics should not work on two 12 V batteries ?? With an engine out or dead alternator in the air your instruments would certainly work on the batteries, wouldn´t they ? A charged 12 V battery is definitely more than 12 V in reality, so avionics should be OK with two of them. Plus get yourself a common charger connected to the battery pack to extend your ground tests , you would not use max amps all the time while testing ?? Vic
vic
EDME

Start Pac was founded and is owned by a guy I know, Jim Wurth, and is a good company. How many companies put the bosses cell phone number on their website?

http://startpac.com/customer-support/contact-us/

They supply GPUs too, Peter. But this is just a power supply to save battery power.

I wonder why your avionics should not work on two 12 V batteries

It does, and a lot of the “28V” “starter packs” are just two car batteries on a trolley, with a charger. These give out 24V.

To start an engine you need a car-type battery, or a big lithium battery. One could make a switch-mode power supply which delivers the required 400A or so (the max for some Skytec high speed starters) but you would end up drawing some 50A from the mains which makes it unmarketable.

I recently built another ground power unit, 40A, switchable 14/28V:

It was made to be continuously rain-proof (everything is IP67 sealed). For obvious reasons the output voltage selection was not made to be too easy

and there is an interlock on that little box so if you open it, it shuts down the power supply.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

vic wrote:

I wonder why your avionics should not work on two 12 V batteries

They should. The question is, however, for how long as the voltage will drop. I would say radios (of any kind, not just VHF comms) tend to be demanding in this respect, especially older ones. But I would second the charger suggestion.

Martin wrote:

They should.

Not really. There is equipment that does not work realibly at 24V. My King DME is one of them.

Sign in to add your message