Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Ground Power Unit (commercial or DIY)

The low voltage warning is a specific feature which tends to be adjustable. For example I have the KLN94 set to 25V, and that will indicate alternator failure.

The actual box works over a much wider range.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I use 2 × 12v car batteries in a plastic tool chest on wheels, on my 28V aircraft. I can then use the avionics for whatever purpose (software changes, training etc) for over an hour.

Modern digital systems are voltage tolerant and don’t require 28V. My main GPS/NAV/COM units operate in the 11V to 33V range.

EGLK, United Kingdom

Posts moved to existing thread.

Further back you can see some options discussed.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I can imagine many different uses for a small GPU in a hangar, so, being an engineering type, I bought the most versatile of them all – a 0-30 V 0-10 A bench power supply for about 60 EUR. It has been serving me very well.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

We have a battery minder and if we want to run the avionics in the hangar for 15 minutes once in a while we just do it on the normal battery as the battery minder will then recharge it very fast. Beware of those 230V power supplies many do not provide proper 28V DC causing strange behaviour of the intercom etc.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Why does he need it? Is it for engine starting or being able to power the avionics without running the engine?
Two 12v or one 24v car battery(ies) should work fine if you give them some charge every now and then(or all the time you are not using them).

ESSZ, Sweden

Hi,

I would like some feedback from aircraft owners, if and what ground power do you use while in the hanger. I have a client who needs a power supply for his Tecnam which is 24v based and I need some models which maybe are not rather so expensive, as what I found until now cost alot!

Appreciate your input…

LMML

I bought this in 2010 and it does the job
https://www.accubat.fr/achat-chargeur-batterie-ctek-multi-xt-14000-24-volts-1135.htm

D´accord with Jean: using this kind of trickle charger since 2015 still works well, maintaining my 24V Gill battery anno 2013, used the reconditioning function only once a year and service/check the batttery for sufficient fluid level. Using the charger unattented, would require Peters recommendation (most sense) to use a fused wire. However I haven´t found a ready made appropriate wire or fuse solution for that, yet.

TB20 Airman
Borkenberge EDLB, Germany

Thanks Jean
Do you charge / maintain your battery often ? I guess it needs to be removed to do so ?

Besides, this is a charger and it does not allow to power the avionics from DC (Ground Power).

Jean
EBST, Belgium
74 Posts
Sign in to add your message