Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GTX330 from 2005 - any point in upgrading or changing?

That however will need a “W” GPS to feed it the “certified” position. Presumably that would “just work” with a GTN later. And if Avidyne ever do the ADS-B IN on the TAS605 then that will also need a “W” GPS, for the same reason.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

You’re probably ok, but there was an AD on the firmware in 2005. You should be on v3.03 or v3.06 or later.

FAA AD 2005-01-19

EGTT, The London FIR

Hmmm I wonder what this was about? I have never had ATC complain

Administrator

I believe it fixed an issue with the GTX330 occasionally not replying to an interrogating TCAS system.

EGTT, The London FIR

Peter wrote:

And if Avidyne ever do the ADS-B IN on the TAS605 then that will also need a “W” GPS, for the same reason.

Why would ADS-B in need a WAAS position source?

EGTK Oxford

Here

One can see the certification reasoning (because the ADS-B IN is a certified box) but this is nuts in reality, and IMHO if you took the data out of a KLN94 and used a protocol converter to fake a “W” GPS data stream, it would be just as good for traffic awareness…

Administrator

Peter wrote:

One can see the certification reasoning but this is nuts in reality, and IMHO if you took the data out of a KLN94 and used a protocol converter to fake a “W” GPS data stream, it would be just as good for traffic awareness…

Ok interesting. I suppose the argument is that to correctly display WAAS accuracy traffic, your position must be similarly accurate.

EGTK Oxford

Making the bet that an ADS-B out mandate would come at some point + I want the ADS-B in aircraft to see me, I jumped straight to the 345. Might as well spare yourself the install cost.

EGTF, LFTF

Did you install the WAAS GPS antenna which the GTX345 needs (if using its internal GPS)?

If I did that, and later put in the GTN (or 2×GTN) I would (due to not wishing to have more antennae than the GCHQ) have to disable the 345’s GPS and re-use that antenna for a GTN, and anyway the 345’s GPS would be irrelevant.

IMHO an ADS-B mandate of any sort of < 5700kg IFR GA is years and years away. But for sure one would not want to preclude it by doing something stupid.

Basically, on a TB20, anything is fairly easy except for the centre stack which is pretty hard.

Thinking about it more, on my plane, the only way I will be able to do ADS-B OUT is with a GTX345 (or a similar box) – because the TAS605 will never do ADS-B OUT. So, since I am not likely to be removing the TAS605, putting in the 345 is not likely to be wasted, ever.

We did this here to some extent.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

If I did that, and later put in the GTN (or 2×GTN) I would (due to not wishing to have more antennae than the GCHQ) have to disable the 345’s GPS and re-use that antenna for a GTN, and anyway the 345’s GPS would be irrelevant.

Couldn’t a 345 share the GPS position with the GTN.

But I am with Denopa. If doing now I would fit a 345 not a 330ES.

Last Edited by JasonC at 08 Feb 22:32
EGTK Oxford
Sign in to add your message