Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Hangar doors: what is reliable and not expensive ?

Hello there,

I am trying to conduct a hangar building project. It’s not easy as it involves some kind of “politics”, but I do not give up for now.
I have been able to choose a structure builder (SCREB), and as STOLman teached me, I want it to be isolated, with enough thermal mass to limit temperature variations.
The size would be 20.82 large, 12 or 15m deep, and 5m tall. It would allow two small aircrafts to sleep in confort. It could also accept bigger stuff, if things change (so that I can eventually rent the building, to a King Air, or TBM, or small Citation owner… who knows).

Here I am struggling with hangar doors. Many different kinds, but not equally reliable, cheap and easy to use. I would like a very large door, such as 18m by 5m.

So far, I’ve able to spot different kinds:

And also, fanfold ones, like an “accordeon”.
I’ve spotted two UK brands on my airfield. No idea if they still exist or are recommended. Maybe someone knows them ?

I would be glad to have your experiences. I understand those hangar doors can be quite a nightmare to maintain and use, even if much expensive… Wish I avoid the trap.

Thanks for your help !

Last Edited by PetitCessnaVoyageur at 19 Nov 13:15

The first of your pictures must surely be the simplest and hence the cheapest. We have them at my homefield and they work reasonably well, there are some pitfalls however:

• on the top side, both rails and wheels must be as hard as possible, inox if you can afford it. Best is to have the rails a “double C” profile, the doors having a wheel on either side so as to load the rails symmetrically. Above all avoid greasing them for easy running, the grease will eventually become a thick puddle of dirt and dust. Trains run just iron on iron, remember?
  • on the bottom side, some kind of guidance is required and dirt will collect inside, unavoidably. Make sure to have an easy way to get it out, for example give it a very slight slope on the bottom side only with a collector at the lower end; a Kaercher cleaner is then sufficient to keep things clean.

And set up a yearly day for cleaning/maintenance, and fix who will do it and at what conditions.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

I can offer just one data point from personal experience: the horizontally folding doors (your 2nd pic) are suspended from some wires and have fairly recently killed a couple of guys here in the UK, and they suffer from a wind speed limitation which can be a right hassle. The hangar I was in removed theirs after the accident and replaced them with the doors which have the vertical fold (probably your 3rd pic) and which cannot fall down.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I used to rent a hangar with the same horizontal bi-fold doors in the second from top photo, that were newly installed by a UK company and we had continuos problems with them and shortly after I left the cables failed and plane was heavily damaged when it fell.

My current hangar has the vertical fold accordion style similar to last example, with electrical motor actuated at it works flawlessly despite being over 20 years old.

Last Edited by Michael at 19 Nov 17:17
FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Incredible to read those reports about horizontally folding doors..

About “accordeon” doors such as EuroFold from Bolton, here is a larger picture.
From what I’ve seen they can actually be operated by an electric engine and a rather rustic chain.

I’ve mentioned Bostwick and Bolton… But maybe you know others ?

Would you (@Peter, @Michael) have a look next time at the airfield, to see if it’s another brand ?

The V accordion door on my present hangar is like said, over 20 years old and there is no sign of who installed it. I can say that the “pleats” are much wider than your last example and very similar to the doors where the Cessna 172 is parked.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

My hangar is 60′ × 40′, (18 × 12 m) and easily accommodates a fuel bowser and two light aircraft with their tails in the back corners. That leaves “visitor” space for a third, but it would need to move to let the “residents” out.

After nearly five years with no door, I’m making a set of bifold doors like this so that I can paint the floor, install a sofa and coffee machine, and be reasonably comfortable if/when I get chucked out of my house for flying too little

My doors will hinge outwards instead of inwards, because we seldom get more than a few inches of snow and my hangar is sheltered from the prevailing wind.

Door structure is welded cold-rolled galvanised 6-inch “C” purlins, and cladding will be glassfibre roof sheets. This kind of purlin is usually made of high-yield steel, so the structure is light and strong and the second leaf can run on a standard Henderson shed door track. Strangely, Henderson’s track hangers with nylon wheels are rated for heavier doors than the equivalent hanger with steel rollers.

My total material cost will be about £1.5k, including a new inverter MIG welder, which leaves some pocket money to invest in Avgas.

PM if you would like me to email drawings (Solidworks and/or PDF).

Only question is how the new doors will allow continued access to the barn owl who likes to shelter with my Maule and keeps the hangar and surrounding area 100% rodent-free. Incidentally, does anyone here know how to “house-train” an owl, or is that really too much to hope for?

Last Edited by Jacko at 19 Nov 18:21
Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

You need an owl flap

Anyway, one might have expected Jacko to deliver the definitive engineering approach

Except one thing: real engineers use TIG, not MIG

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

That’s very good !
Send you PM

Virtually all hangars built in Germany these days are of the carousel type. I think they are by far the most elegant solution if more than one person has access. There is no danger of hangar rash and it is very easy to get aircraft in an out. They can be purchased ready made and only need a concrete foundation.

http://www.aircraft-carousel.com/
http://www.altoservices.de/index.php?lang=2&idcatside=28

40 Posts
Sign in to add your message