Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Hangar Options London Area

What airfields within say 2 hours of London, accessible by train + short taxi ride, offer hangarage and at what price (for a small single engine plane)?

Tököl LHTL

Shoreham EGKA 1.15 – 1.30 train from Victoria. Walk or short taxi from Shoreham-by-Sea Station.

I’m not sure how much space is available or what length of time you need. You will pay around 350 – 400pcm plus VAT for a TB20 / PA32 size plane.

Good opening hours 8 – 20 week days and 9 – 19 weekends.

Alex
Shoreham (EGKA) White Waltham (EGLM), United Kingdom

what is a pcm? a derivative of the guinea perhaps, or some such British peculiarity?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Fairoaks EGTF is 30 min by train from Woking to Waterloo (10 min taxi to Woking). Last time I checked hangarage was £720 a month!

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

Jan_Olieslagers wrote:

pcm?

Per Calendar Month.

Andreas IOM

Shoreham (Brighton, more accurately) is 1hr down from London on the Victoria/Thameslink line, but there isn’t much (or any) hangarage down here currently.

I know someone who pays £7000/year at Southend EGMC for a TB20 sized plane (which would be a PA28 too).

The problem is that the local govt is screwing everybody on business rates. 11 years ago I nearly bought a hangar down here (got conned by a crooked estate agent and it went to a non aviation business at the last minute, after I spent 5k on contracts etc) and the ground rent and business rates came to 23k/year. Divided between the max possible # of 10m-wingspan planes (6) this came to £500/month (no VAT) which people with nice planes would have paid, especially given that the ability to do freelance maintenance is instantly worth a few k a year at least.

Due to business rates, you can’t really make a hangar pay unless you run a business out of it, and there are only so many maintenance companies that GA can support because most of the business is a race to the bottom, especially with syndicate and flying school customers.

So most of the bottom end has escaped to farm strips… where they face other issues but they feel it is worth it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Oxford quotes £491/month for TB20 hangarage incl 10 landings/month.

EGTK Oxford

What about North Weald (EGSX), this must be one of the closest to London, a 10 minute taxi ride from Epping
which is on the Central Line….37 mins to Liverpool St.

I am sure hangarage is available there and a very friendly airfield.

I believe Booker EGTB has hangarage available.

Forever learning
EGTB

It might help to quote both hangarage and cost of landings/circuits/instrument approaches, plus, of course, car parking.

Shoreham, for example, is around £380/month (inc. VAT?) but 10 landings/month would add approx. £280…..car parking could add another £50-£70 at least.

A local farm strip should be under £200/month, but grass-only could cut out 2-3 months flying/year; training may not be possible (landing restrictions due noise) and security could be an issue.

Swanborough Farm (UK), Shoreham EGKA, Soysambu (Kenya), Kenya
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message