Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK CAA allows medical self declaration (PMD) for certified aircraft within the UK

The 2006 one was a replacement for a 1987 one, due to a change of address. It had (has?) the same priveleges as the previous one, in a brown wallet.
I now also have 2 licences in a single blue wallet, an EASA one and a UK one.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Unless I mis-read it, ORS4 1283 allows you to use an EASA PPL in the UK with the Medical Self Declaration until April 2020.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

That exemption applies only to pilots who previously made a medical declaration.

An exemption with similar effect, extending LAPL privileges to some UK pilots’ licences (a subset of which is valid using a medical declaration) for EASA aircraft, is published in ORS4 No. 1293 of 12 Feb 2019 valid until 8 Apr 2020 or earlier.

London, United Kingdom

What exactly does “previously” mean in the above case?

Administrator

It simply means “don’t fly until you have made the declaration.”

This has been hammered to death elsewhere

(Typical poor drafting)

Egnm, United Kingdom

This concession (to fly “EASA aircraft” ie. certified aircraft regardless of country of registration) expires on 8th April 2020.

ORS4 1283 restricts this concession to G-reg, however. That is relatively new; it came in roughly 2 years ago. Someone in the system informs me this restriction is not legal…

Reportedly, 8560 UK pilots have made this medical self declaration (also called Pilot Medical Declaration (PMD) ) although the CAA is not saying how many of these actually fly on it i.e. do not have a Class 2 medical.

It is thought that roughly 2000 UK pilots hold an NPPL, which would suggest roughly 6000 UK pilots are flying with the full UK national PPL or EASA PPL, and have made the medical self declaration.

And almost nobody is going to make the declaration unless they think their Class 2 is at risk – although it is damn good insurance to do this anyway (like applying for the NPPL, actually!).

These 6k pilots are at risk on 8th April 2020.

I can’t really see the CAA taking out such a big chunk of GA, especially as there aren’t all that many pilots flying regularly anyway.

Administrator

And almost nobody is going to make the declaration unless they think their Class 2 is at risk.

Why on earth not? Unless you want to fly abroad, or have medical issues for which an AME’s advice will be valuable, there’s no reason to spend half a day and a hundred quid in a doctor’s office.

My reading was that AMEs are becoming thin on the ground to the extent that appointments were liable to become unobtainable for many. The availability of the self-declaration form means that people who statistically are unlikely to collapse in flight, don’t need a medical. Those who do need one can still get one. What’s not to like? The CAA are to be commended on what to me has been a very useful derogation.

Always interesting to hear another angle, and yes the AME cost saving is a good point. All the evidence is that an AME adds close to zero value; they are unlikely to spot something you don’t already know about if you are reasonably active etc and which would lead to in-flight incapacitation.

However you can’t even pop across the water to Le Touquet with it. I’d think that for anyone anywhere near the south bit of the UK, a Class 2 is worth having. And a Scot might never fly to France but he cannot fly to the Republic of Ireland…

I have my AME appointment in April and I am booking it right now No reason to not book it early; you know when your medical expires.

I agree it is an amazingly positive move by somebody in the CAA.

Administrator

These 6k pilots are at risk on 8th April 2020.

ORS4 1309 makes it quite clear that the derrogation allowing operation of an EASA aeroplane with a Medical Dec expires on 8th April 2020.

Deferring the Requirement to Hold a Part-FCL Licence for Aeroplanes or TMGs until 8 April 2020 Pursuant to article 12(2a)(3) from 12 July 2019 until 8 April 2020, Annex I (Part-FCL) will not apply to any person who is flying a UK registered aeroplane or TMG while exercising the privileges of a pilot licence granted or rendered valid under United Kingdom legislation, provided that they only operate within the privileges and conditions of FCL.105.A LAPL(A) or FCL.105.S LAPL(S).

Reason: To enable any such licence holders to continue to fly UK registered aeroplanes or TMGs under UK national legislation until it is mandatory to hold an EASA Part-FCL licence for such aircraft.

Beyond the date 8 April 2020, licence holders will be required to have taken the steps necessary to have their licences converted in accordance with the requirements of Annex II to EU Regulation No. 1178/2011 as amended.

The Med Dec will revert to its original purpose of allowing UK pilots to fly G Reg Annex 1 aircraft within the UK.

For me the time saving is as great as the cost saving. The nearest AME is about 2.5 hours away by train and taxi, then 2.5 hours back. I’m at a time in my life when I don’t get that many days off from work or family, so spending them on futile errands is an annoyance.

Sign in to add your message