Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK CAA allows medical self declaration (PMD) for certified aircraft within the UK

Awesome, this is world leading stuff.

US Basic Med certification plus FAA Light Sport (no medical) flying is roughly similar in combination, with one huge difference: if you’ve ever failed your 3rd Class Medical for any reason no matter what you can’t take advantage of either less onerous FAA scheme, you have to get your 3rd Class medical back one time first no matter how much it might cost in time, money or worry.

I’m apparently having a medical issue right now that might possibly cause me to not apply for a 3rd Class medical again, so this stuff is on my mind. I’ll go Basic Med if necessary because you can’t fail, you can only not succeed in getting a sign off with that particular doctor. Similar in concept to an FAA flight review with any individual CFI, the doctors discretion is paramount, so it minimizes the necessity for perfectly FAA compliant medical data. Plus the FAA never sees your application or data.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 23 Oct 21:02

To add: The UK LAPL can also use the PMD.

Outside the UK, the NPPL and LAPL have concessions in France and for Annex 1 only.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

UK EASA PPL, UK national PPL, NPPL can all use the PMD for certified aircraft.

This is big stuff.

Congratulations!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

UK EASA PPL, UK national PPL, NPPL can all use the PMD for certified aircraft.

Law

There is no ORS. It is all above.

This is big stuff.

Administrator

Great to know that the sub 2000kg PMD has been restored. It still doesn’t look to me like a “slip of the pen” but we will never know

Administrator

@peter yes this is both non part 21 and part 21 but it must be G reg

Last Edited by MattL at 21 Apr 07:05
Posts are personal views only.
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom

MattL wrote:

for flying day/night VFR up to 2000kg

And only within the UK

Germany

I think this finally addresses this.

Or is this for both Annex 1 and certified?

A few years ago I could fly my TB20 on the PMD

Administrator
No IRR is ok if you make the over 2000kg declaration / standards — this is for the below 2000kg and reduced standards
Posts are personal views only.
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom

Have they removed the IR(R) from that list?

EGTR
87 Posts
Sign in to add your message