Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Bristol Ground School to offer Austrian ATPL exams in the UK

Do to various uncertainties over Brexit BGS are now offering the ATPL written exams using Austro Control jurisdiction.

Perhaps what’s more interesting is that they intend to offer them after brexit and there would appear to be numerous other benefits to the consumer and not only that the exams are vastly cheaper (45 quid compared to 71) but you also get the results within minutes of finishing the examsn.

Other advantages are that the majority of appeals are resolved on the day and that there is no charge for an appeal.

Also if you want to resit an exam you can do it on the very same day.

I have to say if this proves to be the case I can’t see any point in sitting any written exams under the UK CAA.

Very apealling even if not Brexit related: the fact that Austro Control allow to do the exams outside their offices for a cheap price, you don’t have to go all the way to Gatwick to sit a bunch of computer based exams (I live in London but think of someone having to come from Scotland for this)

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I think this is hilarious

However, I wonder whether Austria has weeded its QB and removed the dodgy questions. In the past you could have sat the 14 ATPL exams at Athens for €5 each, but you got the original 1999 JAA ATPL QB

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I think it’s going to be more than hilarious.

As now the customer has choice who an earth is going to use the more expensive and inferior CAA product.

I’ve always been led to believe that its quite a cash cow for them. Perhaps it might kick them into improving their product?

I would think the UK CAA are of high quality in terms of the many dodgy questions having been removed over the years, but everything else around is poor for the clients e.g. the booking schedule, the wait for the results, etc. That other stuff seems completely pointless, in the modern age, and was probably designed to be yet another barrier to entry, along with the IR, to keep less than highly motivated people out of the airline cockpit.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

On pricing and products, I think it is what you expect from them: good products as they are a private company (Gmbh or LLC) and cheap as they are state funded.

Probably, you can’t compare it to UK CAA (gouverment company/agenecy funded solely by pilots)

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Probably more due to the fact that EasyJet has a growing number of OE registered aircraft..

Austrian CAA comes to Hungary as well to few flightschools, who mostly train foreign cadets. Austorcontrol offers faster, more professional service the HgCAA at this time.

Zsolt Szüle
LHTL, Hungary

Well that didn’t last long it would appear BGS are no longer offering the Austrian exams. Copied from their website

“We are sorry to tell you that Austro Control have decided that they are not able to offer exams in the UK for the time being. They say that this is a decision from their management made because of political pressure applied by the UK CAA”

This really must leave their business in limbo

Last Edited by Bathman at 12 Nov 21:18
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message