Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Sky Gods

The skygods are all on Facebook now

Yes that is true; I know that one. However I don’t think FB is a real “forum”. The material in FB groups is totally transient. Stuff posted yesterday is basically gone. This closely suits the temperament of many/most young people today, but you never get any useful accumulation of knowledge. What FB does get is a lot of visitors, especially the younger ones, and some of them are people who want to learn about stuff.

As regards any forum where people get beaten up, this is intentional on the part of the site operator – notably the two UK sites and AFAICT most other aviation sites in Europe. A forum on which people can be beaten up attracts perhaps 10x the traffic, so 10x the traffic to adverts on it. The desire to do this has always been a big thing in human nature; in the days of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn, roughly the 1870s, people got tarred and feathered, and half the town came out and watched the spectacle. Not much has changed…

Bad behaviour, caused by a lack of site moderation, can also be a feature of a forum whose operator doesn’t want to put much effort into running it. That exposes such a site to various risks, because a lot of people enjoy posting defamatory material on somebody else’s site I know of a few forums like that… Of course FB is like that, because they cannot ever employ enough people to read everything, but can afford lawyers as necessary.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

As regards any forum where people get beaten up

Isn’t this a “beating up” thread? At least the OP.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Timothy – I dont undestand your question.

Last Edited by Fuji_Abound at 09 Nov 08:58

Peter wrote:

All of these have their own “Gods”. Some have actually “done it” and just like to tell everybody how great they are. Others, usually the vast majority of the Gods, haven’t “done it” but still like to tell everybody how great they are. A few haven’t done anything at all (in the GA context, flight simmers) but still like to tell everybody how great they are.

To me that sounds like the very “beating up” that people are complaining about.

EGKB Biggin Hill

WilliamF wrote:

That GA Aviation Community page being one prime example…..

If nothing else, the General Aviation Aviation Community page is in good company with PIN Number, PDF Format, LCD Display and HIV Virus!

Timothy wrote:

To me that sounds like the very “beating up” that people are complaining about.

Oh, well, to quote myself: none of us are saints.

To use another more renowned quote: always easier to see the mote in the other guy’s eye than the beam in one’s own. Applies perfect to me.(@ Peter I need help finding the applicable Urban Dictionary link or correct English version)

Oh well…at least we are conscious and we try

It’s just like flying…keep on trying until you make it…just perfect, and then someone else or yourself, comes with fresh perspective and you realize your five flightly mistakes…

I guess onboard cams (and candid forums) are just right for that. Thank you all for the candidness!

@Peter: it’s time for your daily weekly pilot’s joke, please….

Last Edited by Antonio at 09 Nov 13:01
Antonio
LESB, Spain

I don’t understand Timothy’s drift here. Does he want [more] sky gods here? I am certain that some 99% of people currently active here would not. Others would, for sure, but that is not what EuroGA is, and there are plenty of places on the internet for that.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

but you never get any useful accumulation of knowledge. What FB does get is a lot of visitors, especially the younger ones, and some of them are people who want to learn about stuff.

Totally agree. People there are like “I’m going flying to Wellesbourne for a slice of cake so, can I get a basic service on Facebook please?” What I have noticed is since Facebook GA pages have become more active, the tone of some of the forums like Flyer Forum has become more bearable.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

stevelup wrote:

PIN Number, PDF Format

Don’t forget the (unlamented) Microsoft MS-DOS Disk Operating System! :-)

Andreas IOM

I know two Sky gods. They have done everything in aviation. They are amazingly modest, professional and enthusiastic. They do not post on any forum so far as I know.

EGCJ, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message