Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Sentimental bias

A very brief search shows C180H models going from US$120-$140k or so for a nice example. A quick search for S35 Bonanzas (of similar vintage) show prices from about $85k to $120k.

Yes, the Bonanza will massively outperform a C180, except the 180 will probably get into and out of tighter spaces (although a Bonanza isn’t bad – when I lived in Houston our club had one, and I used to fly it to not entirely smooth grass fields all the time – the Bonanza has effective flaps and decent sized landing gear, and the gear doors aren’t too close to the ground). Our club’s S35 would cruise at 163ktas at 8000’ at 65% power, at the same fuel burn the 180 is a good 30 knots slower. The Bonanza would cost more to run, though.

Andreas IOM

alioth you will recall that it was in fact the Bonanza that put paid to the Cessna 195 Businessliner, although it wouldn’t be until the advent of the Bonanza 36 that it matched its load carrying ability. By this time the businessliner market had moved on, and Cessna took a great leap forward by introducing the Citation. Only twenty five years separated the 195 from the Citation – and changing Cessna into a well resourced multi billion revenue enterprise.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

The Bonanza first marginalized the C195, then Cessna filled the remaining market gap with the C180 and C185 that covered the capabilities that the Bonanza did not address as well as the C195. To me owning a C195 today is a totally sentimental activity, although there’s not the slightest thing wrong with that! My practical problem with them is that like a Packard or similar large pre-war luxury car the space and ergonomics are a bit awful for the pilot, even while the passengers have huge amounts of space. Also I’ve known capable C195 owners who had other planes to fly when conditions weren’t right. Neither of those issues seems to apply to a C180 and I see them as super-practical, not really sentimental purchases for most buyers.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 14 Nov 19:37

A well presented early 180 with a hopeful price, typically the early models average $80K in good condition.

The quandary is that an IFR early C180 may have only 875 lbs useful load (1675 lbs EW and 2550lbs MAUW). To carry four people and minimal luggage, and go anywhere you are reducing fuel to around 30 usg and flying at 55% and 120 KTAS, for around 2 hours endurance with VFR reserves.

An IFR Warrior I lease out has 837 lbs useful load, and at 75% will fly at 120KTAS (courtesy of gap seals and wheel spats). Fuel flow is slightly less than the C180 at 55%.

No contest on ramp presence for the C180.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Presumably the runway / field requirements of your fully loaded warrior and 180 will be quite different.

Would the 182 / 180 comparison not be similar to make?

Saying that the 180 would always be more appealing to me.

RobertL18C wrote:

A well presented early 180 with a hopeful price, typically the early models average $80K in good condition

Funny, I saw that one and though about posting a link. Nice plane. Every man should own one polished aircraft…

Silvaire wrote:

Every man should own one polished aircraft…

I used to own a polished Cessna 140 (only the lower half, the tail and the flaps were polished, the top and wings painted).

It was a full days work every 6 weeks of polishing (a full 8 hours!) in the Houston heat to keep her shiny. On the other hand, turning up at Oshkosh with the aircraft freshly polished did get us a spot right in the middle of the showplane camping.

Andreas IOM
27 Posts
Sign in to add your message