Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How long is your runway?

What are the dimensions of your homebase runway(s)?

On my last flight home (Hannover EDDV) I turned to base when parallel the threshold. ATC had instructed me to land with a tailwind on 09L due to some calibration work going on, and I realised I might have turned way too early, being rusty on tailwind landings. I was maybe 600-700 ft AGL above the threshold. But the trusty C172R has these big barn door flaps at 30°, which I extended, and then landed just right at the “light aircraft touch-down point”. I guess when you have a homebase with a 3200 m x 45 m runway (09L/27R, it also has a 2340 × 45 m 09R/27L and a “GA” runway with 780×22 m as 09C/27C) you have quite a lot of room for error (the threshold is actually displaced by 300 m on 09L, so for take-off you have in theory 3500 m available). The “light aircraft touch-down point” is 1600 m past the threshold of 09L.

I guess unlike some other “how big is yours?” topics, in this one most respect will go to the pilot with the smallest homebase runway. Could I be the one with the easiest (=biggest) homebase runway on here?

EDIT:
Added chart for better understanding:

Last Edited by MedEwok at 12 Nov 09:34
Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

MedEwok wrote:

Could I be the one with the easiest (=biggest) homebase runway on here?

Sorry. ELLX, my homebase, has 4002 m × 60 m (and a 4002 m TODA, TORA, ASDA and LDA). The “light aircraft in VFR” touchdown point on RWY 24 is at intersection C, which removes 1137 m. On RWY 06, we touch down normally and often evacuate at the first intersection (G, which leaves us a 728 m LDA) which is right where our hangars are.

Since we have only one runway strip, it makes it even easier :)

The habit is to take off from RWY24 intersection F (TODA 1530 m) or RWY06 intersection G (TODA 3274 m).

Last Edited by lionel at 12 Nov 09:43
ELLX

Slightly off topic, but fun fact.

Back in the early eighties aviation was much more fun than it is now, and much less restricted, and I kept my AA5B at Stansted (sigh)

On one occasion, there was a 40G55 crosswind from the NW and, after I had attempted and failed to land on each end of the runway, the controller suggested that I land on the taxiway that led to my parking spot:
 
 

 
 
In the event, I tried one more time on the runway and got in, but it does underline how times have changed

EGKB Biggin Hill

That’s a serious storm like crosswind. How do you even taxi in that :-)

HQ is 630m x 18m hedge to hedge in grass. Not keen to try it with the SR22 even though I’ve seen it done. A friend came to see me in a Seneca last November which is as big as I’ve seen here.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

Timothy wrote:

the controller suggested that I land on the taxiway

Similar thing happened to me back in 2002 landing at Redhill, but it was water not wind the problem. The very heavy rain had the runway underwater but the southern taxiway was not. So I was given permission to land on the taxi way, very sensible! It was also a noteworthy landing because I was on final to land with a 747 a little way to port, landing at Gatwick.

UK, United Kingdom

Yeah, I know a number of people who tell me, between tears rolling down their face, that they used to keep a plane at Stansted

This is mine:

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

My homebase is 500 mtr grass.
Sometimes it would be nice and more comfortable to have a longer runway – but generally it is nice to be able to go a lot of other places and not worry about short runways.

pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

EHLE is currently 1200m – the remaining runway not in use until the airport expansion is complete.

@MedEwok – last time I visited Hannover they had me land on 27C – I thought that was the standard runway for GA traffice. We departed 27L though

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Timothy wrote:

I kept my AA5B at Stansted (sigh)

I was also based there in the 1980’s and used to park my Cherokee next to Timothy but unfortunately I dont have any interesting stories.

In those days it was open 24hours with no surcharge so you could land or depart any time day or night, if we were departing to France we often were airbourne at 0400 and regularly arrived back in the middle of the night, how things have changed.

If I recall landing was £8 and I dont remember ever paying any parking.

Peter Mundy wrote:

@MedEwok – last time I visited Hannover they had me land on 27C – I thought that was the standard runway for GA traffice. We departed 27L though

So far I got 27C/09C only when I asked for it. It is of course very conveniently located in relation to the GAT. Maybe because the planes I rent are also used for training flights a lot the local ATC errs on the safe side and sends them to the big runway, just in case?

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany
27 Posts
Sign in to add your message