Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How long is your runway?

465m looks longer but its only about 7m wide.

Norman
United Kingdom

EDLH is long(ish) with 600m of tarmac plus an additional 160m each end of grass but the most interesting aspect is the approach to 06 over the Burger King. I recall we had a Cirrus Instructor come over to give us some – well, instruction in our Cirrus – but on his first approach into 06, he was quite concerned about landing because of the proximity of the building, plus the fact that the road which passes across the threshold is elevated about 4m higher than the runway elevation….. Now he brings all new Cirrus pilots here, showing why speed control, power settings and descent rate are so important.

If you zoom forward 6 minutes into this video

you can see the approach. Note that the camera is hanging down from under the wing hence the sight picture might look a bit skewed – if you were viewing it from onboard, you’d believe you’re high – but if you can land here in a Cirrus, you can pretty much land anywhere. So, fancy a fun flight? Come to Hamm. The town centre is close. Plus you’ve got the option of the Burger King at the end of the Runway or a pretty good Italian restaurant on the field…..

EDL*, Germany

Timothy wrote:

Back in the early eighties aviation was much more fun than it is now, and much less restricted, and I kept my AA5B at Stansted (sigh)

Just imagine, if we had a quid pro quo for getting a large volume of airspace, the airport wanting that airspace was compelled to offer reasonable non discriminatory access, let’s say it must offer self-handling and a reasonable landing fee of say, no more than £20 per metric tonne. Of course the busy airports would complain that the sky would somehow fall with all the little planes coming, but large airports in the USA seem to cope just fine.

Andreas IOM

My home field is ENVA I guess. 3000m of runway, a bit more, a bit less depending on the numbers you use.

Then I also consider ENOP (Oppdal) as “my” field. 1000 m of runway where I tow gliders.

There is also a third, ENMO (Øyan). 600 m of grass. I am an instructor for the guy living there. He got an airfield, but lacks a license and an airplane and wants to do something about it My club use the field as our own in agreement with him. Reindeer are often visiting the strip. They also like the grass

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Home is 1319m with my summer base at 1259m.

EGTK Oxford

My homebase has 725m between the thresholds, but an overrun available at both ends. The cable for the glider launches, which uses most of the available length between the fences, is about 1000m. A Cirrus and a Mooney are based here, without (runway-related) trouble so far.
But if unsure, one can always use the 2nd runway next door ;)

This is a view from short final RWY08 (with the 2nd RWY08 at the right side of the picture).

Last Edited by CharlieRomeo at 12 Nov 19:07
EDXN, ETMN, Germany

Homebase is LSZH/Zürich, which as a 2500m runway for VFR, even though we sometimes use the others too. There are segments of the runway defined for use for SEP’s with touchdown points and all, usually about 1000m long.

Mostly training is done at either LSZK or LSPV, both small airfields nearby. LSPV, Wangen Lachen, has 500m asphalt, LSZK a bit more but grass.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

between 553 and 670 depending on who you ask ;-)

LFHN plate

[plate PDF localised because AIP URLs go dead every 28 days]

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

Home is 650m Hedge to Hedge.
HV national grid pylons across the approach at 1 end but it’s actually very useful……set up at your approach speed & +/- 500ft min descent, over the wires at 300ft Alt and you’re all set. If not, its just far enough out to have a tweek.
Both hedges have a road on the other side so you need to keep a little height.

United Kingdom

Steve6443 wrote:

If you zoom forward 6 minutes into this video

you can see the approach. Note that the camera is hanging down from under the wing hence the sight picture might look a bit skewed – if you were viewing it from onboard, you’d believe you’re high – but if you can land here in a Cirrus, you can pretty much land anywhere. So, fancy a fun flight? Come to Hamm. The town centre is close. Plus you’ve got the option of the Burger King at the end of the Runway or a pretty good Italian restaurant on the field…..

Nice video steve. Hamm looks fun, you even got a stone-paved runway, something which I’ve only previously encountered on Juist (EDWJ) and found it suprisingly smooth to land on. From the video it is hard to judge how steep the approach is. I tend to descend to late and come in high anyways (lack of experience), and it didn’t seem all too high to me.

But 600 m is a challenge to me, the shortest field I’ve landed on yet was 700something. The 3200 m homebase runway doesn’t exactly support precision approach skill (standard approach needs to be PAPI all four white, or you’re landing way too early…)

It seems the others are pretty well distributed between grass strips under 500 m and Lionells 4002 m in Luxemburg…

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany
Sign in to add your message