Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Skill Test, Proficiency Check, Flight with Examiner, Instructor Flight and All Other Types of Checks

I am trying to get my head around all types of check flights there are. Here is what (I think) I know about them:

• Skill test: the test to get a new license, class or type rating, e.g. PPL, CPL, SEP, MEP, IR. These are used e.g. on FOCA/BAZL form 60.320 (CPL Skill Test) and 60.420 (IR Skill Test).
  • Proficiency check: the test to revalidate a currently valid class or type rating (not renew which is when the rating has expired). These are used e.g. on FOCA/BAZL form 60.525 (CR/TR/IR SP revalidation) but the exact text says “2 Result of skill test/proficiency check”. Why is skill test in the mix here?
  • Training flight with instructor: the flight done for revalidation of SEP. This one is used e.g. on FOCA/BAZL form 60.521 (Revalidation Class Rating SEP / TMG). Is it used for anything else?
  • Examiner flight: a flight done before the actual proficiency check in some cases, e.g. for MEP revalidation when the pilot does not have 10 route sectors in the 12 months preceding the rating expiration as described in FCL.740.A(a)(2). This one is used e.g. on FOCA/BAZL form 60.525 (CR/TR/IR SP revalidation).
  • Operator proficiency check: a proficiency check conducted by the commercial operator where the pilot flies, which satisfies the requirements of a proficiency check of the observing authority.
  • Base check: an initial check in an airline to evaluate standard operational procedure adherence, done when base training is completed.
  • Line check: a periodical check in an airline in normal revenue flight to evaluate standard operational procedure adherence, done usually annually.
  • Familiarization flight: not an official term I’ve seen but just adding it here for completeness. This would be the flight you conduct with an FI to get familiarized with a new SEP airplane.

Additionally to the questions above, I am somewhat confused between:

• Skill test vs. proficiency check: why are they sometimes mentioned together and which one is which?
  • Proficiency check vs. line proficiency check: what is the difference except that one is at a commercial operator?

Can anyone enlighten me? Are there more types of tests or flights with instructors?

Last Edited by Vladimir at 13 Nov 13:04
LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

The EASA FCL easy access rules document is helpful.
https://www.easa.europa.eu/sites/default/files/dfu/Part-FCL.pdf

Can’t answer all your questions but have one example:
Multi pilot multi engine typerating.
To revalidate it’s required to do one license proficiency check per year. In commercial ops however an additional operator proficiency check is required longest every 6 months. Also once a year a line check is required.
In practice it’s two days of sim (day 1 4h training, day 2 4 hours check) every six months and a line check every 12 months.

Some operators (biz jets) also opt to do the training and checking onboard the aircraft instead of a sim.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 13 Nov 14:20
always learning
LO__, Austria

Proficiency check: the test to revalidate a currently valid class or type rating (not renew which is when the rating has expired).

From FCL010

“Skill test” means the demonstration of skill for a licence or rating issue, including such oral
examination as may be required.

“Proficiency check” means the demonstration of skill to revalidate or renew ratings, and including
such oral examination as may be required.
“Renewal” (of, e.g. a rating or certificate) means the administrative action taken after a rating or
certificate has lapsed for the purpose of renewing the privileges of the rating or certificate for a
further specified period consequent upon the fulfilment of specified requirements.
“Revalidation” (of, e.g. a rating or certificate) means the administrative action taken within the
period of validity of a rating or certificate which allows the holder to continue to exercise the
privileges of a rating or certificate for a further specified period consequent upon the fulfilment of
specified requirements.

Training flight with instructor: the flight done for revalidation of SEP. This one is used e.g. on FOCA/BAZL form 60.521 (Revalidation Class Rating SEP / TMG). Is it used for anything else?

To meet the requirements of FCL.740A

— refresher training of at least 1 hour of total flight time with a flight instructor (FI)
or a class rating instructor (CRI). Applicants shall be exempted from this refresher
training if they have passed a class or type rating proficiency check, skill test or
assessment of competence in any other class or type of aeroplane.

Examiner flight: a flight done before the actual proficiency check in some cases,

No such thing, its either a Skill Test, Prof Check or Training. A FTO may conduct a practice test but this does not have to be an Examiner

Familiarization flight: not an official term I’ve seen but just adding it here for completeness. This would be the flight you conduct with an FI to get familiarised with a new SEP airplane.

Familiarisation Training, no requirement for a flight, may be reading the FM no requirement for a signature
GM1.FCL.710

Differences Training does however require flight training at the discretion of a Instructor and a signature

Skill test vs. proficiency check:

Initial issue versus revalidation or renewal

Proficiency check vs. line proficiency check:

One revalidates your rating, the other is to meet the 6 monthly requirement for operator proficiency

Last Edited by Tumbleweed at 13 Nov 15:36

Thanks @Tumbleweed.

Tumbleweed wrote:

Examiner flight: a flight done before the actual proficiency check in some cases,

No such thing, its either a Skill Test, Prof Check or Training. A FTO may conduct a practice test but thgis does not have to be an Examiner

There is, according to FOCA form 60.525 (download).

Last Edited by Vladimir at 13 Nov 15:36
LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

If you do not have the 10 sectors in the period of validirty of a MEP or Type rating then you must complete one Sector with the Examiner. That is section 3a of the Prof Check and would be completed on the same flight, you do most of it anyway. If you do the IR revalidation Section 3b, on the same flight you are exempt Section 3a

PART. FCL Appendix 9

(d) Section 3A shall be completed to revalidate a type or multi-engine class rating, VFR only, where
the required experience of 10 route sectors within the previous 12 months has not been completed.
Section 3A is not required if section 3B is completed.

Last Edited by Tumbleweed at 13 Nov 17:17

Tumbleweed wrote:

one Sector with the Examiner.

This is probably what they call “Examiner flight”.

Tumbleweed wrote:

That is section 3a of the Prof Check and would be completed on the same flight, you do most of it anyway.

Not according to my FI. He says it must be a separate flight from the one you do for the revalidation itself. I haven’t seen the text that requires that though.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message