Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Does PPL or CPL include LAPL privileges?

Just read a summary of Implementing Regulation 2019/1747 with an effective date of 11 Nov 2019.

The PPL now includes LAPL privileges, and the privileges which may be exercised depend only on the validity of the Part-MED certificate held by the pilot.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Revisiting this one-post thread: Does the inclusion of LAPL privileges in a PPL mean that the EASA Class 2 medical, which is valid for a LAPL in year 2, mean that (if LAPL privileges were sufficient for my flying activities) I would only need to get a medical examination every second year?

Bluebeard
EIKH, Ireland

Yes

ESSZ, Sweden

Your doc just needs to fill out a different form as technically it is then a renewal and not a revalidation of the class 2 medical – but the examination should be the same

Germany

Does the inclusion of LAPL privileges in a PPL mean that the EASA Class 2 medical, which is valid for a LAPL in year 2, mean that (if LAPL privileges were sufficient for my flying activities) I would only need to get a medical examination every second year?

Yes. But, (and please correct me if I’m wrong), it works because PPL includes LAPL privileges, and Class 2/Class 1 includes LAPL medical. You will need a Class 2/Class 1 medical to keep your PPL privileges. The only difference between Class 1 and Class 2 is the hearing test. Last time I actually took (and passed) the hearing test. The secretary mixed things up and I had no clue which tests I had to take anyway but still got only Class 2 in the end. There is a price diff as well.

The neat thing is therefore you need only Class 2 (or class 1), only every second year, instead of every year, if your flying falls inside LAPL priveleges the second year. If you cannot pass Class 2, then you loose your PPL and have to take a LAPL medical and change to LAPL.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

My EASA Class 2 medical expires shortly, I will be making a second attempt to get it renewed – the first got cancelled by the medic due to Covid 19 disruptions.

The current certificate is entitled “Class 2/LAPL Medical Certificate”. As a LAPL certificate it does not expire for another year. So can I fly on the basis of that certificate during that second year, if only flying within LAPL privileges – but holding a PPL not a LAPL?

My understanding was that you could not use a PPL with a LAPL medical cert, you had to actually hold a LAPL. But maybe the Regulation quoted above has changed this.

Another reminder of the usefulness of my standalone FAA licence & medical.

Bluebeard
EIKH, Ireland

When you get a class 1 medical you actually also get a class 2 medical and a LAPL medical. This is from mine:

Last Edited by Dimme at 15 Oct 10:15
ESME, ESMS
37 Posts
Sign in to add your message